Have you ever wanted to go on a vacation but been held back due to time or budgetary constraints? Well, here in Tokyo, it’s no longer an issue – First Airlines is a company that has created a way you can have an overseas vacation experience without even leaving your chair.
Japan is no stranger to unique, quirky, and at times straight-up absurd attractions – after all, it is home to places like the Robot Restaurant and Kawaii Monster Café; however, this new venture just may be the weirdest.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What it is
The idea of vacation experiences was explored in the pop culture sphere with the 1966 Philip K. Dick short story “We Can Remember It for You Wholesale,” which later became the 1990 action film Total Recall, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone. In the story set in “the not too distant future,” the lead protagonist dreams of visiting Mars, but due to external pressures it seems like it’ll all just be a fantasy – that is, until his discovery of Rekal Incorporated, a company that specializes in creating false memories through implants and other small tangible reminders.
Although First Airlines won’t be implanting chips into your brain, what they have created is arguably the closest experience to Total Recall on offer today. It’s a virtual two-hour-long vacation complete with authentic check-in, first-class airline service, and paraphernalia to take home (including a replica Japanese passport).
Essentially, it’s a novelty dining experience combined with VR and a potentially excellent tourism advertisement concept all rolled into one. The company launched earlier this year, and beyond the first wave of media attention it has continued to fill up sessions with no major issue for the months that have followed.
To the cynic, it may seem like a strange exercise in the unnecessary computerization of authentic experiences; however, according to First Airlines manager, Hiroaki Abe, the company hopes the experience will be beneficial to elderly or less able guests for whom long-haul international flying may be a near impossibility.
The holiday packages
When it launched, the destinations added to the itinerary were the usual suspects: Paris, New York, Hawaii, and Rome. Recently, additional, more unexpected destinations have been added to the itineraries, including a visit to Helsinki, and a “time travel” experience. The flights typically depart four times daily, and destinations are dependent on the day of departure, so if there’s somewhere specific you want to go, you’ll have to check online and make your booking for that day.
What to expect
As soon as you step into the First Airlines “departure lounge,” expect a completely immersive experience that’s about as close to the real thing you can get (minus heavy luggage, tired travelers, and long check-in lines).
Guests are asked to sign in at the desk, and in return are given a replica passport stamped with your virtual destination. If you so wish, you can hold on to the passport and bring it back for any returning visits to get it stamped again, just like real life.
When it’s time to board, guests are led to their assigned seats complete with complimentary slippers (for the trip, don’t take them home!) and are instructed to buckle up and pay attention to the safety announcements.
After a rumbling take off, you’ll soon be soaring over the city, with projected clouds passing by your imitation windows and in real time take-off video footage broadcast on the main screen. After a short while tearing through the sky you’ll be given a VR headset signifying your “arrival.” One you’ve “virtually” touched down, you’re whisked through the city, given up close looks at some of the selected city’s major tourist destinations minus the crowds.
Following all that exploring, you’re sure to be starved, so luckily the experience comes complete with a multi-course meal representative of the nation you’re currently visiting. Don’t worry you won’t be getting airplane food; instead, the meal is more like something you’d find at a fine dining establishment, complete with a drink and dessert.
The food is arguably the experience’s main focus, with what’s on offer staying true to the real deal. The company has also said that they’re looking into add domestic “flights” to the offerings as a way to highlight regional cuisine from across Japan.
The logistics: time, price, and how to get there
Each trip takes about two hours in total, but it’s best to get there five to ten minutes ahead of your departure, so you can go through the check-in process with no rush.
Both business and first-class flights each depart twice daily at 5:40pm and 8:10pm. A business-class ticket will set you back 4,980 yen (US$45) and first class is 5,980 yen (US$54), thus amounts that are basically the price of a higher-end meal, or a super cheap Ryan Air flight.
The “terminal” is located on the eighth floor of a nondescript office building, an easy five- to ten-minute stroll from the well-connected transport hub of Ikebukuro Station, just at the top of Nishi-Ikebukuro Park.
Phone: +81 3 6907 0981
Address: 〒171-0021 Tokyo, Toshima, 西池袋３丁目３１−５パークハイムウエストビル 8F
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.