With so many different regions and neighborhoods in the city, and with each having its own distinct vibe, it can be hard to find a place to rent in Tokyo that’s just right for you. To make it easier, we’ve rounded up a few of the best neighborhoods to rent in the city, no matter what your budget, lifestyle or interests.
Hiroo is an upscale commercial and residential neighborhood in Shibuya ward where the rent is only slightly less than neighboring Aoyama and Ebisu. Both Hiroo and its neighbor Azabu are home to several international schools, attracting many expat families and couples. That, along with a large number of embassies in the area, gives Hiroo an appealing global vibe. The location is convenient. Hiroo station is on the Hibiya Line with direct access to Ginza.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Takadanobaba is part of Shinjuku ward. It has reasonable rents while still having access to the JR Yamanote Line, the subway loop that circles central Tokyo where the highest rents can typically be found. The area is popular with students from the nearby universities. Being a hangout for students on a tight budget means Takadanobaba is home to lots of inexpensive restaurants and shops competing for thrifty customers. Takadanobaba is just steps away from Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro.
Kichijoji is one of Tokyo’s most attractive neighborhoods for young couples. Being away from the Yamanote area keeps rents low, while lively shopping and entertainment areas keep residents busy and the feeling of community alive. Kichijoji’s Inokashira Park is another reason that this region is sought after. This popular hanami spot is perfect for jogging or just a soul-soothing stroll around the lake, under the leafy green boughs. Kichijoji is about 20 minutes away from Shinjuku Station and 40 minutes away from Tokyo Station.
Jingumae in Shibuya ward has some of the highest rents in Tokyo. Jingumae means “the area in front of the shrine,” so named because of its proximity to Meiji Jingu at the eastern edge of Yoyogi Park. This neighborhood also includes Harajuku and parts of Omotesando, making it very desirable for those interested in the fashion business. Indeed, many top modeling agencies, luxury fashion houses, and designers have their Tokyo headquarters here.
Denenchofu is known as Tokyo’s “garden suburb,” a region that balances residences and commercial industry with parks and green spaces. Residences here are often bigger than the typical Tokyo home. The success of Denenchofu’s design has influenced other areas of Tokyo, such as Jiyugaoka and Nakane. Wealthy socialites, business executives, sports stars, and celebrities all seek out this area, leading it to be compared to Los Angeles’ Beverly Hills.
Ikebukuro is one of the northernmost stops on the JR Yamanote line. Rents are lower here than in other areas, but it’s a well-developed commercial, residential and entertainment district with a downtown feel. Nestled between the skyscrapers, the scores of theaters, shopping centers, bars and restaurants attract many young people and students. Ikebukuro is also one of the most international areas of Tokyo, with a large population of foreign residents and second- and third-generation immigrants.
Daikanyama is a fashionable, upper-class neighborhood between Naka-meguro and Shibuya, but tourists usually skip this area. Daikanyama’s Sarugakucho is known for its stylish boutiques and fancy cafés, as well as the famous Daikanyama T-Site and La Fuente shopping and dining center. As a result, the area grows lively on weekends as locals come out to browse the shops and take in the atmosphere.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.