Kerala, the “God’s Own Country” is doing just what the whole world needs to do—this southern state of India is making headway with welcoming the liberal and avant-garde approach towards the transgender community in India, while other parts of India often discriminate, ostracize, shun, and harass this community. In November 2015, Kerala became the first state in India to formulate and launch a transgender policy in a bid to end the injustice against this “third gender” community—the Hijras. Here, Culture Trip brings you reasons to be proud of Kerala’s Transgender Policies.
Kerala accepts the third gender community with open arms and its Transgender Policy is making the headlines, for all the right reasons. It includes a plethora of progressive steps for the recognition, inclusion, and empowerment of the community, including trans men, trans women, and intersex individuals in economic and social opportunities, public transport, health, social security, education, and career sectors, thus setting a strong example across India and abroad.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As a part of the Kerala’s transgender initiative, Kerala has come out with a justice board. This board offers legal help and deals with cases in the transgender community, including work towards ending discrimination and violence against the third gender community. Needless to say, this initiative has enhanced the life of the trans community.
Based on the basic principle of inclusiveness, Kochi Metro Rail Limited recruited 23 transgender individuals for different roles, thus becoming the first government-owned organization to do so. Furthermore, an MNC in Kerala broke down barriers by hiring a transgender woman, Zara Sheikha, as an HR associate.
First Ever School For the Transgender Community
Yet another thing that makes everyone proud of Kerala’s transgender policy is the establishment of the first school for the transgender community, named “Sahaj International’ in the Ernakulam district of Kerala. At this school, students are guided under the National Open School System and school dropouts who are transgender are given vocational skills training. The best part: it is run by a transgender activist, Vijayraja Mallika.
First Ever Transgender Sports Event
The Kerala Sports Council hosted the India’s first ever Transgender Sports Meet in Thiruvananthapuram’s Central Stadium. Over 130 transgender athletes from 14 districts took part in various field and track events. This meet etched its name in history of India, as no other state in India has ever carried out an event for the transgender community at the state level.
Transgender Beauty Pageant
Kerala notched up yet another accomplishment in its transgender policy by hosting the first transgender beauty pageant. This contest was organized by the transgender association in Kerala, the Dhwayah Arts and Cultural Society, and over 40 transgender woman participated, out of which 15 made it to the final; it was a truly one of a kind experience. This grand event was attended by well-known personalities from all walks of life, including famous actors of the South Indian film fraternity and several politicians.
Trans Woman Featured on”Vanitha” Magazine Cover
Vanitha, a popular fortnightly magazine in Kerala, broke the convention by featuring a transgender woman, Deepthi, on its cover along with her story.
Female Lead in Indian Cinema
While many times, trans people have been cast in movies as a side role, this time, a transgender woman named Anjali Ameer was cast as a female lead in a mainstream bilingual movie.
Trans women Gowri Savithri and Maya Menon modeled for the saree label launched by Sharmila Nair, a well-known Kochi-based designer. This saree label is dedicated to the third gender community and named Mazhavil (Rainbow).
Kerala has managed to take the transgender inclusion initiative to a new level by opening a health clinic exclusively for the third gender community. The Government Medical College Hospital (MCH) in Kottayam opened up the trans healthcare clinic since health is one of the significant concerns for third gender people.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.