Touching the feet of elders is an age-old Indian tradition that is considered to be a mark of respect. This gesture can be seen in almost all Hindu families, both in India and abroad. In fact, some Bollywood movies and daily soaps have also depicted this common practice. Indians believe that when a person bows down and touches the feet of their elders, their ego gets suppressed as this gesture indicates respecting the age, experience, achievements and wisdom of the person whose feet are being touched. The elder person then, in turn, blesses the person touching their feet. Here are more facts and beliefs about this common Indian practice that you should know.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The right way to touch feet
To touch the feet of an elder or respectable person, you must bend your upper body in front of them, without bending your knees and stretch your arms forward. The arms should remain parallel and should be stretched in such a way that your right hand touches their left leg and left hand touches their right leg. The elder person should then touch the top of your head with their right hand and bless you.
The science behind touching the feet of elders
The act of padasparshan (touching the feet) has a profound scientific reason. The nerves in the human body, starting from our brain, spread all over our body and end at our fingertips and toes. While doing padasparshan, when the fingertips of your hand are joined to the feet of the opposite person, a closed circuit is established between the two immediately and the energies of your bodies are connected – your fingers and hands become the receptor of that energy, while the feet of the elder person become the giver of the energy. When the elder accepts this respect, their heart becomes filled with good thoughts and positive energy, which they give out through their hands and feet.
Whose feet should you touch?
In India, people touch the feet of their elder brothers, parents, grandparents, teachers, spiritual gurus and other senior citizens. Only the feet of elders and such respectable people are touched because all through their life, they have acquired a lot of knowledge, experience and virtues, which prove to be extremely powerful and benefitting for the ones who show them respect and seek their blessings.
Significance of touching feet in Hindu tradition
The practice of touching the feet of elders was adopted in India during the Vedic period and is called Charan Sparsh (charan means ‘feet’ and sparsh means ‘touch’). According to the Hindu tradition, when you touch the feet of an elder person, you are in turn blessed with knowledge, intellect, strength and fame. There’s an underlying meaning to this entire act, that those who are elder to you have obviously walked on this earth longer than you, have lived longer than you and have thus gathered a lot of wisdom and experience. So, if you touch all the dust on their feet that they’ve collected walking along their way, your life and future will be hugely benefitted.
Health benefits of touching feet
As per Indian scholars, there are three ways of touching feet. The first one is the basic way of bending forward and touching the feet. The second is to sit on your knees and then touch the feet of the other person. The third and last one requires you to lie down on your stomach, with your forehead touching the ground, which is also known as the Sashtang Pranam, generally practiced by devotees in Hindu temples. While bending forward to touch feet, your back and waist are stretched. When you sit on your knees and then touch the feet of an elder, your knees are bent and all of the joints in your body are stretched, which relieves you from joint pain. While engaging Sashtang Pranam, your entire body stretches and body pain is cured.
Occasions for touching feet in India
Indians touch the feet of their elders on various occasions in their daily life, such as:
• When starting something new
• On birthdays and weddings
• During festive occasions
• Before going on a long journey
• Before an exam or an important meeting
• When an elder guest comes to your house or you go to their house
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.