Mumbai has got plenty to offer if you are looking for fantastic shopping experiences without draining your wallet too much. We’ve rounded up a list of the Indian city’s finest thrift shopping areas and flea markets for you to explore.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mumbai’s Chor Bazaar is bound to thrill any true fan of thrift shopping. Eccentric items from around the country and across time periods make their way to the crowded stores of this famous bazaar dating to the mid-19th century. Whether you are looking for 80s Bollywood film posters or for spare automobile parts, Chor Bazaar will give you all you are looking for, and then more.
Lined with vendors selling all sorts of clothes at dirt cheap prices, Fashion Street in South Mumbai is a regular haunt for Mumbai’s budget-conscious fashionistas. Clothing found here ranges from traditional wear to knock-off branded sportswear. There are also plenty of vendors selling shoes, bags, watches and accessories. Fashion Street’s 150+ busy and mostly nameless pop-up shops are up and running throughout the year, only to scale back mildly during the city’s crippling monsoons.
From rich collections of artificial jewellery to affordable clothing in the latest trends, Bandra Hill Road’s bustling street-side pop-up stores offer some of the city’s finest budget fashion finds. Make sure to slot in a significant amount of time to spend rummaging through racks of some of the city’s best affordable traditional clothing at Hill Road’s Elco Market area. The area also has numerous small street food stores for you to refuel amidst your shopping experience.
Crawford Market, also known as Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Mandi, is among Mumbai’s largest and most popular. Vendors from around the country dealing in all sorts of items, from local produce and freshly ground spices to handicrafts and traditional jewellery, set up shop in the vast bazaar around the year. Located quite near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in the historic Fort neighborhood, Crawford Market first opened in 1869.
Among the most famous street markets in India, Colaba Causeway has the city’s best collection of knock-off traditional jewellery. Causeway’s many vendors also sell clothing, shoes, bags, souvenirs, used books and electronics, among other items. Café Mondegar, which flags the northern tip of the Causeway is a fantastic spot to grab beers when you’re in need of a break from shopping.
Another top destination for thrift shopping in Bandra, Linking Road is ideal for anyone looking to indulge in street shopping and yet have easy access to fancy boutiques and swanky stores. From electronic gadgets to clothing and accessories, the market has much to offer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.