Superfoods are edible produce rich in micronutrients that grow naturally, lead to sustainable lifestyle and, of which, most parts can be used to make something. India’s rich soil has blessed the country with superfoods that have given its people their notably glowing skin, thick black hair and overall brilliant health. So, here are the best Indian superfoods that you need to include in your daily diet to get rid of acne and reduce any excess weight.
Sattu (grounded chickpeas)
Sattu is simply roasted chickpeas grounded into flour. Almost 20% of sattu is protein by weight and contains magnesium, calcium, iron and manganese; all of which works like magic for tissue repair. In India, sattu is usually given to mothers who are still recuperating from childbirth, and toddlers. People in Indian states like Bihar and Uttar Pradesh have been using it in their staple food litti-chokha for generations. The grounded flour can be mixed with water and had as refreshment, or one can make different kinds of bread out of it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Amla (Indian gooseberry)
Amla or the Indian gooseberry has more vitamin C than orange and acts as a brilliant antioxidant. When used well and wisely, amla can help you burn fat, build immunity, relieve pain and even cure the common cold!
Turmeric powder comes from grounding the root of a plant (of the ginger family) that grows abundantly in India. It can be used externally to treat scars, psoriasis and eczema. When used in cooking dishes, turmeric helps digest the fat content and prevents indigestion. In its natural form, turmeric is loaded with vitamin C, fibre, vitamin B6, potassium and magnesium.
Nariyal tel (coconut oil)
Coconut is a superfood in the truest sense of the term. The world is slowly finding out the secrets this hard shell fruit contains inside. Indians, especially in the South, have been taking coconut oil for years. Some of its benefits are abdominal weight reduction, skin repair and even reduced plaque formation in the mouth!
Makhana (lotus seeds)
Makhana or puffed lotus seeds is a great all-rounder. It is low in saturated fat and sodium, and contains magnesium as well as phosphorous. All these things make lotus seed a superfood that can be had raw, roasted and even puffed. Lotus seeds are great for people who suffer from high blood pressure too.
Drumsticks (moringa tree fruit)
Drumsticks are the fruits of Moringa tree that has grow in popularity for its lovely fragrance and colour. While the leaves are used for toiletries and cosmetic products, drumsticks are used as a food ingredient in India. Rich in vitamin B Complex, drumsticks are especially good for women.
Tamarind, or imli as it’s called in India, is a powerful antioxidant. Apart from that, tamarind helps cure acne, helps in blood purification, boosts the immune system and a whole lot more. So make a drink out of it or add it to the food you make! Tamarind has a lovely tangy taste, so even a bit of it gives a burst of taste.
Ragi (finger millet)
While quinoa is getting very popular these days, nothing can beat ragi (finger millet). Packed with protein and fibre, this superfood is great for keeping blood sugar level in check and acts as a natural relaxant. Ragi is also full of iron and vitamin D. In India, it is used to make flatbreads and dosas and much more.
Jackfruit is another all-rounder. This fruit or nut, as some call it, can be used to keep cholesterol in check and even prevent colon cancer. Jackfruit is so rich in nutrients that it can be held as a wholesome meal in itself.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.