Dharamsala is a city in the north of Himachal Pradesh surrounded by picturesque views of the Himalayas. It is one of the hill stations where history, spirituality, and culture come together, giving you a retreat for both your mind and soul. To create a memorable stay in Dharamsala here are ten great places and experiences to try.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
McLeod Ganj, also referred to as Upper Dharamsala, is situated ten kilometers uphill from the main Dharamsala city. It hosts nearly 10,000 people, including Indians, exile Tibetans and foreign travelers. Many tourists from all over the world come to McLeod Ganj to learn more about Buddhism and experience a peaceful atmosphere. This town is called ‘Little Lhasa’ because of the large population of Tibetans. McLeod Ganj serves as the residence of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, and is a great place to understand Tibetan culture and history.
Dalai Lama Temple Complex
This place provides an important insight into Tibetan culture and spirituality. At the complex’s entrance, visitors are requested to leave their cameras in the lockers. Inside the complex, there is a Tibet Museum, where you will get to know the history of Tibet, its people and their struggles for independence. The museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closer to the temple, everyone has to pass through the security check. Despite a queue for security reasons, the view from the Temple yard will astonish you.
This waterfall, which is 20 meters high, is situated in the village of Bhagsunag, just two kilometers away from McLeod Ganj. This village is mainly famous for waterfalls and an ancient Lord Shiva temple. There is a narrow trek to the waterfall, complete with beautiful natural views on the side. If you reach close to the top, you will enjoy a fabulous view of the hills. Due to the high popularity of the place, you will meet hundreds of tourists on the way as well.
Dal Lake is a pond located on the McLeod Ganj Naddi Road at 1,775 meters above sea level. The lake is surrounded by a pine forest with a scenic view of the hills. Near the banks of the lake, there is a Kali temple that adds a further peaceful aspect to the atmosphere. Overall Dal Lake is a relaxing eco space where you can enjoy nature, feed bread to the fish in the pond, and explore a different view of the hills.
If you ever wondered whether lush green desktop wallpapers with mountains are real, make a visit to Kangra Valley and feel the serene views of nature. This is a great destination for walks, bird watching, trekking, mountaineering and rock climbing. It also hosts a rock temple complex known as Himalayan Pyramid. Kangra Valley offers unique sights throughout the year, though the main season occurs from March to July. The snowy Dhauladhar ranges of Himachal add an untouched natural feeling to the place.
Dive Into The History In Kangra Fort
Located on the top of a hill, this fort served as a residence to one of the oldest dynasties in the world – the Katoch dynasty. The fort includes a courtyard, several halls, towers, and temples dating back to the 9th century AD. You can listen to an audio guide to gain a deeper insight of the place. There is also a museum where you can learn more about the history. Once you reach the top of the fort, you will discover a beautiful view overlooking the river.
Trek To Triund Hill
Go trekking or hiking to Triund Hill to feel the crisp mountain air. The trail is around seven kilometers both ways. It takes six hours walking: four hours for climbing and two hours to come back. On the way, you will pass several small villages, cozy cafés, and enjoy breathtaking views from the top. You can spend a night in Triund and trek further to the snow line and caves the next day. The trek is easy enough even for the beginners.
Shop At McLeod Ganj Market
Local markets give a real feel of Indian culture. McLeod Ganj Market is a global gathering of hippies, travelers, monks, and artists on one street where you can find almost anything from warm clothes to souvenirs. There is also a variety of handmade musical instruments. Indian shopkeepers are known for great storytelling skills; thus, you will get a chance to learn how different things were made and where they come from. Meet creative people. Very often there are artists and craftsmen at the market who are selling the things they’ve created.
Learn A New Skill
Due to the appealing natural environment and many expats in the area, there are constantly organized cultural and creative educational programs in Dharamsala. You can learn different skills: discover cooking tips of Tibetan dishes, try yourself at wood carving or painting, join a handicraft course, or learn Tibetan art under the supervision of master artists. There are also many meditation and yoga retreats due to a peaceful environment. Choose an activity according to your taste, and enjoy the new learnings.
Experience Cuisine Diversity
Dharamsala and McLeod Ganj have diverse food options to offer. You will find Italian, Belgian, Chinese, Korean, Himachali, and, of course, Tibetan cuisines. Try tasty noodle vegetable soup (thupka), steamed or fried varieties of momos, veg beans, and rice dishes.
Get a taste of a bakery for which the hill areas are famous. What can be better than finding a cozy café in a chilly evening to enjoy a cup of tea with numerous options for baked goods: brownies, cakes, cookies, truffles, tarts – just think of an option. There are plenty of bakeries that will make your travel memories about Dharamsala even sweeter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.