The best things in life are free. Quite simply, some of the best experiences in Pune can be enjoyed without spending a penny. You don’t have to splurge on a six-course meal at JW Marriott or go to a nightclub to enjoy the live music scene in the city. There are so many activities that you can do in the Oxford of the East totally free of cost.
Jog at Bund Garden
Pune is home to several gardens and parks, and most of them are free to enter. One of the first things that you can think of doing for free in Pune is to go for a jog at the famous Bund Garden. This is also a popular picnic spot and has a lake and a jogging track. If you’re lucky, you can even spot some migratory birds in winter.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stroll down Koregaon Park
One of the most expensive and plush localities of Pune, Koregaon Park is home to some of the best restaurants, pubs, hotels, and residential complexes. This leafy neighborhood has quiet, tree-lined avenues that are great for a long walk. If you have nothing else to do and are too broke to spend money on any activity, head to Koregaon Park for a stroll, alone or with a friend.
Visit the Osho Ashram
Situated right behind the Osho Ashram is the Osho Garden, a Japanese Zen garden built by the Shunyo Foundation. For all those who enjoy both spirituality and nature, visiting the Osho Ashram and Garden should be on top of the bucket list.
Visit Gyaan Adab Centre
If the written word fascinates you, the Gyaan Adab Centre is a perfect place to spend a relaxed day reading or attending a poetry reading session. You can check out their library and also visit the gallery for any ongoing art exhibition. This literary center features both new and veteran artists.
Climb up Parvati Hill
In the heart of the city lies the second highest and the most famous hill of Pune – Parvati Hill. Once you climb the steep flight of 108 steps, you not only find an ancient rock-cut Shiva temple, but also a 360-degree view of the city. Aside from fuel in the car, you won’t need another penny to experience this.
Admire Pune University
Aside from being one of India’s first premier educational institutes, the Savitribai Phule Pune University also boasts breathtaking architecture. A visit to Pune cannot be complete without a look at this remarkable piece of architecture.
Visit Raja Kelkar Museum
Pune has many museums, and the Raja Kelkar Museum is the most popular. There are over 21,000 artifacts at the museum ranging from woodwork to sculptures. Some pieces even date back to the 14th-century.
See the Khadakwasala Dam
Besides being the major source of water to the region, the Khadakwasala Lake itself is a thing to adore, with the blue waters and the greenery all around. You could either visit alone and spend some time with feet dipped in the water, or visit with friends and have a great time over the snacks and chaats.
Visit Aga Khan Palace
This famous historical landmark is marked by its imposing architecture and makes for a great trip back in time. Visit on any weekday to see the relics of Kasturba Gandhi, visit the textile shop, or just admire the towering building.
See the Mulshi Dam
If you have a car at your disposal, then head to the scenic Mulshi Dam, a couple of hours drive from the city. Sunny skies and blue waters amid a verdant surrounding are enough to leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated for a long time.
Money is no object for having fun in Pune. Visit some of these remarkable places to have a great time for free.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.