Though Bangalore is not the cheapest of cities in India in which to live, the Silicon Valley of India does have plenty of fun activities on offer that won’t cost you a single rupee. Here are the top ten things to do for free when in the Garden City of India.
Visit one too many temples and churches
For the religious and spiritual lovers among you, make like a local and visit the temples and spiritual spots. Bangalore has a repertoire of stunning spiritual places and temples that remind visitors of the city’s rich history, culture, tradition and art. Perhaps the most popular temple in all of Bangalore is the 16th century Nandi Temple. Built in Dravidian architectural style, the Nandi Temple houses a 4.6 meters tall and 6.1 meters long gigantic monolithic bull that is created from a single granite rock. Another popular temple is the ISKCON temple, which is dedicated to Lord Krishna, and is known for its stunning ancient and contemporary architectural styles. Other must-visit temples include Banashankari temple, Sri Someshwara Swami temple, Saint Mary’s Basilica, Saint Mark’s Cathedral and more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Be one with nature at the parks and green spaces
The moniker ‘Garden City of India’ is befitting to Bangalore as numerous parks and green spaces punctuate the city. In the midst of all the urban chaos, these green spaces are a perfect respite for those yearning for tranquility and quietude. Some of the beautiful parks where you can take a break from the bustle and reconnect with nature without costing a dime include M.N. Krishna Rao Park, Bugle Rock Garden and Cubbon Park.
Marvel at the street art on the walls
The streets of Bangalore are rife with gorgeous works of art. From witty thoughts to portraits showcasing freedom from hierarchy, to work depicting the quirks of the city and its lovely people, to artworks highlighting the social as well as local problems, like potholes, underdeveloped areas – there are striking murals and realistic artwork to be found everywhere across the city. Anyone who loves the medium will be astonished by the creativity and diversity of ideas on display. Specific locations where you can find some beautiful, eye-catching street art include 6th and 7th Cross of Malleshwaram, 1st A Cross Road in Koramangala, Indiranagar, St Mark’s Road, MG Road and RT Nagar. So, take a stroll through the streets of the city and get the much-needed visual inspiration for free; plus they make for cool Instagram-worthy backdrops!
Mingle with the pups at dog shelters
Dog lovers rejoice! There are several dog shelters scattered across the city that allows you to spend time petting the four-legged pals, for free. Some of these shelters include Maruthy Dog Shelter, Charlie’s Animal Rescue Center and CUPA Second Chance Adoption Center. These centers are open to pet lovers for free (generally on weekends). And if this isn’t enough, you can volunteer for a day or more at the shelter to feed, play and groom them!
Hit up the Rangoli Metro Art Center
The Rangoli Metro Art Center adds to the city’s cultural landscape and is free to boot. It has activities that caters to music lovers, culture vultures and art aficionados alike. You can enjoy jam sessions, plays, classic dance recitals and more. Plus, the centre consists of three art galleries with a wealth of riveting collections. Make sure to explore every nook and cranny. If travelling with little ones, worry not, as there is also a children’s recreation area with plenty for them to do.
Monday to Sunday :10:00am-7:30pm
Explore the colourful markets
One of the best ways of immersing yourself in the local culture without spending a penny is by hitting up one of the city’s many markets. The most vibrant and colourful of all is the Gandhi Bazaar where every day the sounds of cheerful banter and haggling, along with the beautiful sights of people from all walks of life fill the marketplace. Another must-visit market include the City Market, which is the biggest street market in Bangalore; Kitsch Mandi and Sunday Soul Sante. Take a stroll around these markets, soak up the local, bustling atmosphere and snap some Instagram-worthy shots. After all, looking is free!
Join a book launch or reading session at Atta Galatta
If you’re a book lover, Atta Galatta should be an essential stop. Housing more than 10,000 titles in Kannada, English, Bengali and several other languages, this bookstore is a book connoisseurs haven. It’s a comforting space where you can sit down and read your book accompanied by coffee. There are plenty of events held here, such as book launches, book readings, poetry sessions, etc. As a bonus, you can attend them for free too. Check their calendar to see when they offer free entry.
Tuesday to Sunday: 11:00am-8:00pm
Catch a free French flick at Alliance Française De Bangalore
Free screenings of the latest French movies and documentaries are held on the second Wednesdays and fourth Thursdays of every month at Alliance Française De Bangalore. If you’re a movie buff, you’re in for a treat here! For more details, check the website.
Monday to Friday: 9:00am-7:00pm, Saturday: 9:30am-4:30pm
Enjoy a Ladies Night Specials
The ‘Pub Capital of India’ has one night in a week dedicated to the ladies, where you can score some free drinks with a side of hopping music. So grab your girl squad and jazz it up at the nightclubs and bars offering Ladies Nights Specials. Some noteworthy ones include Cirrus (Wednesday: 7pm-11pm), Loveshack (Wednesday: 8:30pm-10:30pm), I bar (Thursday: 6pm-10:30pm), Big Pitcher (Wednesday: 6pm-10pm), Ice Bar (Friday: 8pm onwards) and Pebble (Tuesday: 8pm-10:30pm).
Attend free events
Bangalore host an array of events of which you can be a part, for virtually zilch. From music and dance to art, culture, adventure and food, there are events for everyone. You can sign up for them online.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.