Mehndi is a form of body art which originated in ancient India. In fact, the oldest of Hindu Vedic ritual books mention the use of mehndi by both men and women. Designs are created using a paste made of powdered dry leaves of the henna plant. Therefore, mehndi, derived from the Sanskrit word mendhikā, is used interchangeably with the word henna. Here are some of the most beautiful henna designs.
Mehndi is one of the oldest forms of body art known to mankind. Traditionally, the paste is made from powdered henna leaves, which are sun-dried before being ground. It is then mixed with water, oil and lemon juice until a smooth paste is obtained. The paste is left to soak overnight.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The mehndi ceremony is a crucial part of Indian weddings, especially in north India and an entire day is dedicated to it. The ritual is conducted by the bride’s side of the family and takes place on the eve of the wedding day. There’s a saying that the cooling properties of henna keep the bride’s nerves in check during her big day.
The application of henna design, like the one below, can take up to hours. The bride has to be patient not only during the application process but also while waiting for the paste to dry, which takes two to three hours. After the paste turns hard and crusty, it is scrapped off and what remains is a beautiful reddish colour.
There’s a common belief that the henna’s hue on the bride’s hand can predict whether the couple will be happily married or not. The deeper the colour, the better. Also the partner’s name is cleverly hidden in the intricate henna design on the hands of the bride and it is considered unlucky if the groom fails to find his name in the design.
Until a few years ago, it was often the relatives who were in charge of henna application on the bride. But these days, professional artists who specialise in the latest henna trends are being hired for weddings. Their skill and patience in creating the body art is something to be marvelled at.
For the weddings, traditional Indian henna designs use floral and peacock motifs. The exquisite henna designs often compete with the opulent jewellery the bride is wearing. But a lot of Indian brides are also going for minimal and modern designs today.
It’s not just the bride who gets to deck up in henna during the mehndi ceremony, but even her friends and relatives are in line to get the gorgeous designs on their hands and feet.
Apart from weddings, henna holds an important place in many rituals in the Indian tradition. It is applied by women during various Hindu festivals like Karva Chauth, Vat Purnima, Diwali, Bhai Dooj and Teej.
Henna has become popular even in the West and many apply it not only on their hands and feet, as it is mostly done in India, but on other body parts like back and shoulder.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.