It’s only natural that Kolkata, with its complex history and old buildings, has managed to accumulate quite a number of stories about “supernatural” incidents involving everything from colonial era ghosts to dark energies. Here are our picks for the most allegedly haunted places in Kolkata.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Built in 1777 to accommodate junior servants, or “writers” as they were known, of the East India Company, the Writers’ Building has been around long enough in the city to have accumulated its fair share of ghosts. Locals who have visited the building during late hours, when it is usually deserted, have claimed to have heard whispers, giggles, and even screams. The building has been host to a complex past, including the assassination of an infamous British Inspector General of Police by three Indian freedom fighters.
South Park Street Cemetery
Kolkata’s historic South Park Street Cemetery—dating back to 1767—is quite popular among tourists and visitors seeking a peek into a slice of the city’s multilayered history and culture. As one of the oldest non-church cemeteries in the world, as well as the largest 19th-century Christian cemetery outside Europe or the United States of America, South Park Street Cemetery is a fascinating place to see. However, you can imagine a deserted cemetery to be an unsettling place to visit during odd hours of the night. To make that worse, there have been quite a many rumors of strange noises and sightings here, as well as of people falling ill after visiting the place.
Located below the Howrah Bridge, where it enters the city of Kolkata, Mullick Ghat is a place bustling with activity during the day. However, it’s an eerie place rumored to be visited by spirits of those who have died in the Hooghly River during odd hours. Howrah Bridge, which spans across the river, has witnessed quite a few suicides since its inception.
Rabindra Sarobar Metro Station
Kolkata’s metro or underground rail system has its own fair share of ghosts. Among all the stations and routes alleged to be haunted by supernatural entities, the Rabindra Sarobar Metro Station has managed to gather the most notoriety. The station accounts for a majority of the suicides that take place in Kolkata’s rail network. A few locals on board the last train to leave the station at night have claimed to have seen supernatural or strange figures on the tracks as the train departs.
Nimtala Burning Ghat
This historic Hindu cremation ground in Kolkata has gathered many allegations of hauntings and supernatural occurrences over the years. Built in the early 1800s, quite a lot of Kolkatan Hindus have burnt their dead in this ground. Aghori sadhus, or ascetics who are known to engage in various post-mortem rituals that involve using ash and leftover burnt bones from cremations, are said to frequent Nimtala on certain nights.
National Library of India
The largest library in the country by volume, and one of its oldest, the National Library of India is among Kolkata’s most prized institutions. However, visitors have claimed to have experienced quite a range of supernatural experiences, from feeling someone breathing behind their necks to hearing footsteps and laughter that couldn’t be accounted for.
Calcutta High Court
Established in 1862, Calcutta’s High Court is India’s oldest, and possibly among its most haunted. According to some locals, the court is ridden with ghosts, of which that of a convict who had been hanged to death at the court’s premises is particularly notorious.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.