Although India’s temples have garnered attention from travelers around the world, the country has stunning churches, too. Christianity has survived for thousands of years in India and many churches stand tall to tell an interesting history. Built in Gothic, Baroque, or a local tribal style, here are the most beautiful churches you must visit in India.
Mary Help of Christians Cathedral in Kohima
This Cathedral in Kohima, Nagaland lies amid dreamy pastures. The building was designed to look like local Nagaland homes and blend into the scenic landscape. Japan considers Mary Help of Christians Cathedral a memorial to their soldiers who died in the Battle of Kohima during World War II. They funded a part of the structure, too. The wood carved crucifix is one of the tallest in Asia at 16 feet.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mateer Memorial Church in Trivandrum
This beautiful church lies in the center of the bustling city Trivandrum in Kerala. Inaugurated in 1906, the church has a stone-cut Celtic cross to honor Rev. Mateer’s Irish background. One of the few churches in India to be made in granite, it was designed by A. H. Bastow. Its Hallenkirsch or Hall Church style with bits of Gothic design makes it a stunning view.
Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral in Kunkuri
Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral seats 8,000 people at a time and is the second largest Catholic church in Asia. It is a significant landmark of Kunkuri, a scenic, quiet town in the North Indian state of Chhattigarh. Inside, the church has seven arch-shaped arcades and seven sacrament symbols made of angle iron. The cathedral is run by local tribal groups and attracts millions of visitors during Christmas.
Medak Church in Telangana
The Medak diocese is the largest in Asia and only second to the Vatican in the world. It took a decade to finish the Gothic Revival building. The roof of this stunning church in Telangana has been made soundproof with hollow sponge fittings. On the inside, it is decorated with mosaic tiles that were specially imported from Britain. The church has some of the most amazing stained glass windows.
St. George Orthodox Koonan Kurish Old Syrian Church in Cochin
A unique building amid abundant palm and coconut trees in a beautiful area called Mattancherry in Cochin, St. George Orthodox Koonan Kurish Old Syrian Church stands out among the most beautiful churches in India. Built in Egyptian Nubian vault style, the church has 13 sinusoidal vaults and a dome. It was entirely built using compressed earth blocks.
Basilica of Our Lady of Dolours in Thrissur
Belonging to the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church in Thrissur, Basilica of Our Lady of Dolours is the third tallest church in Asia, with 11 altars and sky-high belfries. Made in Indo-Gothic architectural style, it was the first Catholic church in Kerala and its church bells were imported from Germany. This beautiful church sits right in the heart of Thrissur and is decorated extensively during Christmas.
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church in Goa
Known as the crown of Panjim in Goa, Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church is set atop a hill and overlooks the entire city. The all-white building was made in Portuguese-Baroque-style architecture. Originally built in 1541 A.D., the zigzag pattern stairway in front of the façade and a few more additions were only made in the 18th century. Framed with long palm trees, the church building was built where traders from Lisbon used to dock their ships.
St. Mary’s Basilica in Bangalore
The Gothic style church is a beautiful sight in the heart of India’s metropolitan city, Bangalore. There are stained glass windows and Corinthian pillars inside that give the church a majestic appeal. The building today is the 19th century renovated version of the original thatched roof house of worship that used to stand before, built by the Christian migrants from the charming little district of Gingee in Tamil Nadu.
Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Pondicherry
An attractive sight in the coastal Union Territory of Pondicherry in India, the red and white façade of Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is more than 100 years old. The structure was built in 1907 in Gothic style. The magnificent stained glass windows inside the church makes it look particularly beautiful when it’s decorated during festivities. It has become a pilgrimage site for Christians in India.
Sacred Heart Cathedral in Shimoga
In the picturesque land of Shimoga in the Southern state of Karnataka, the Sacred Heart Cathedral accommodates about 5,000 people at the same time, making it the second largest Church in India. The grey façade and Roman and Gothic architecture makes the building seem like a pipe organ, distinctly unique from the rest of Shimoga’s little village landscape.
Shettihalli Rosary Church in Shettihalli
This church was built by the French Missionaries in the 1860s in Gothic-style architecture. Unfortunately, after the construction of a reservoir and dam in 1960, the church was completely abandoned. What remains today is a beautiful skeleton of what one can imagine being a grand splendid church. Tourists flock to the site, especially during monsoons to see the structure partly submerged in the sea. It has attracted lots of photographers in the recent years.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.