Abandoned since the 19th century, this small village of Kuldhara is around 18 kilometers (12.4 miles) southwest of Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. This village is dotted with hundreds of dilapidated sand stone houses and dusty roads, and the ruins of this village are said to be cursed and haunted, and consequently have obtained an air of abandonment, while beholding a dark secret, which needs to be discovered.
With origins in the 13th century, Kuldhara was established by an affluent clan—Paliwal Brahmins. Once a prosperous village and home to over 1,500 people and around 400 houses, it is now a deserted and abandoned ghost village. In 1825, the people of the village as well as 83 villages nearby suddenly left collectively in the dead of night and were never seen since then. By the 19th century, all the villagers vanished into thin air, leaving behind their memories and an undying curse. No trace of the Paliwal community of Kuldhara was found since then. This mass disappearance of over 1,500 people with no traces has left historians bewildered. Today, the Archaeological Survey of India maintains this town as a heritage site.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The story with which this village of Rajasthan is known for tells the tale of the erstwhile Prime Minister of Jaisalmer, Salim Singh, who fell in love with the daughter of the village chief. He threatened the villagers and her family by burdening them with a huge tax if they not agree to his demand. Dreading the imposition of sky high taxes, the people of the town and the 83 villages in the area decided to abandon the town to protect the girl’s honor, thus leaving only their homes behind.
Before they left the village, however, they cast a curse that no one could ever live in this village, which caused its doom and added to the air of eeriness. It is said that whoever tried to settle down on this land experienced paranormal activities and left soon after. The spell stays true until today and the village remains desolate. The brick houses left behind by the people of the town have fallen into dilapidation, as did the cluster of wells and deity-engraved poles in the area.
Having gained the tag of Heritage Site by the Archaeological Survey of India, Kuldhara now functions as a tourist spot, although its state continues to tumble down. As the sun goes down, the gates of Kuldhara are closed by the neighboring villagers, as they believe supernatural beings take over after the sun sets. The extent of the supernatural/ paranormal activity is apparent from the fact that the Paranormal Society of New Delhi itself witnessed eerie activities like haunting voices, footprints on the mud, moving shadows, scratches on cars, and more. However, its ancient structures, mysterious yet spooky incidents, and sad story continue to attract tourists, though permission to enter the village is only during daylight. There is a renovated temple that continues to stand amidst the ruins. The Rajasthan Government is in the process of bringing life to this long-lost town by re-constructing it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.