The strategic location of Pune has blessed it with a favorable climate all year round, as well as several picturesque weekend getaways barely a few kilometers away. With the holiday season here, these scenic vacation spots can be enjoyed on a weekend trip. Here we look at a few of these locations, offering everything from camping to sightseeing.
Less than a hundred kilometers from Pune, Lonavala can be enjoyed on a day trip as well as a weekend trip. Valleys and hills, waterfalls and lush greenery abound in Lonavala. A must-visit for anyone who loves nature, Lonavala is also famous for the chikki, a traditional Indian sweet made from jaggery and peanuts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Three hours away from Lonavala, the hill station of Khandala has been made famous by Bollywood movies and songs. Not surprisingly, Khandala is as popular as Lonavala, with many people preferring to cover both the places in a single trip. Besides the greenery and beautiful hills, the place is made even more beautiful by the rains. The monsoons are the most popular time to visit both Khandala and Lonavala.
The city of Wai is situated on the banks of the Krishna River and was known as ‘Virat Nagari’ during the ancient ages. Wai is in the Satara district of Maharashtra, and barely 90 kilometers from Pune. There are opportunities for several sporting activities in Wai, including raft building, trekking, kayaking, and stargazing.
Meaning iron fort, Lohagad Fort was once the bastion of Shivaji and is now a popular tourist attraction. The fort is located atop a hill, overlooking the Pavana River. The Bhaja and Karla Caves located close to the fort are another attraction for those visiting the Lohagad Fort. Trekking to the fort and to the caves are some of the most popular activities in the region.
The man-made town of Lavasa is bordered by picturesque hills and farms, and gets its name from the lake that the place covers. This hill city is close to 25,000 feet, and a very popular hangout spot for the younger population. Lavasa enjoys scenic views and an ambient climate thanks to the Western Ghats. Some of the activities to indulge in are trekking, camping, rappelling, hiking, and archery.
A very popular river rafting spot around Pune, Kolad is a tiny village in the Raigad district that draws swarms of tourists at any time of the year. The Kundalika River not only offers river rafting opportunities, but the road along the river is a popular running trail. The scenic views and refreshing blue waters are coupled with a refreshing climate all year round.
Mahabaleshwar is a weekend getaway and picnic spot in Maharashtra, surrounded by evergreen forests and valleys. This is also the place believed to be the origin of the River Krishna in the ancient Mahadev temple. The Pratapgarh Fort built by Shivaji is barely 20 kilometers from here. Some of the other attractions in the region include Kate’s Point, Arthur’s Seat, Wilson Point, Needle Hole Point, and the 3 Monkey Point.
This mountain pass is home to several different species of birds and a variety of flora. There is a diverse range of wildlife in the forests of the region. The waterfalls are full during the monsoons, making the beauty of the place come alive. A number of temples and caves are also located in the vicinity. Some of the activities to indulge in are birdwatching, trekking, and enjoying the stunning views of the waterfalls.
From camping and trekking to spending a quiet weekend rejuvenating and relaxing, these getaways around Pune are perfect to soothe both mind and body.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.