As charming as historic Hyderabad may be, there are plenty of reasons to stage a vanishing act from its madness every now and then. With the city’s proximity to many sites of historic and natural significance, you’ll have no shortage of good options either. To help you make the best of your break, we’ve compiled this list of the best weekend trips to undertake from Hyderabad.
Located about 150 kilometers outside Hyderabad, Warangal is home to plenty of richly historic sites. Once the capital of the Kakatiya dynasty which was established in 1163, the city is home to forts, temples and other structures from the time. The Warangal Fort, dating to the 13th century and adorned with intricate sculptures and carvings, is a must-visit site, as is the 12th-century Thousand Pillar Temple.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This stunning waterfall is located about 185 kilometers outside Hyderabad. Seated amidst the dense forests of Nallamala, the waterfall flows from a height of about 150 feet. Visitors need to climb down about 380 steps to access the falls, but the picturesque view adorned with rock formations makes the trek well worth it.
If you find yourself with a long weekend and an urge for some adventure, then the World Heritage Site of Hampi may seem well worth the 370-kilometers-long drive. Once the world’s second-largest medieval-era city, the site bears remarkable remnants of the 14th-century Vijayanagara Empire including forts, royal and sacred complexes, temples, shrines, water structures, and more.
Ramoji Film City
For a short yet satisfying getaway from Hyderabad, look no further than Ramoji Film City. Spread across 2,000 acres, Ramoji is the world’s largest film studio complex and one of the city’s finest one-day getaway options. The complex includes a range of attractions including a highly popular amusement park. Founded in 1996, Ramoji Film City hosts over 1.5 million tourists each year.
If you’re looking for a memorable history lesson, then you should be headed to this cave network located about 320 kilometers outside the city. Known to be the largest and longest cave system open to the public in the Indian subcontinent, Belum Caves are of great geological and historic importance. Besides striking natural cave formations, the site also bears remnants of civilization from as early as 4,500 B.C.E.
This historic site is located about 200 kilometers from Hyderabad. Along with a mud fortification wall covering 100 acres, the site has been the point of discovery of various Buddhist artifacts dating to the 3rd and 4th century C.E. The village is also home to several historic Hindu temples and attracts Hindu devotees from around the country during the annual festival of Dusshera or Vijayadashami.
About 160 kilometers outside Hyderabad, Nagarjunakonda is one of the country’s most important Buddhist history sites. Named after Nagarjuna, a South Indian Buddhist master from the second century, the town was once an important site of Buddhist learning and drew students from China to Sri Lanka. Located by the Nagarjunasagar dam, the world’s tallest masonry dam, the town is as scenic as it is historic.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.