A quaint and lesser-known tourist destination, Pathanamthitta is an underrated spot in Kerala. Overshadowed by the more popular districts, such as Munnar and Alappuzha, Pathanamthitta will strike you with its hidden beauty. From housing one of the largest national parks in Kerala to being home to a secret technique of creating metal mirrors – the only one of its kind in the world, Pathanamthitta has a lot to offer to the discerning traveller.
Explore wildlife and nature at Periyar National Park
Periyar National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary (PNP) is a protected area of 925 km2 (357 sq.mi.) shared by the Idukki, Kottayam and Pathanamthitta districts of Kerala. About 305 km2 (118 sq.mi.) of the core zone within it was declared the Periyar National Park in 1982. The park is a repository of rare, endemic and endangered flora and fauna. It is also the ultimate reservoir of many rich tribal settlements.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover the scenic village of Gavi
A sleepy little village that shot to fame through the Malayalam film, Ordinary, Gavi is a hidden beauty of the Pathanamthitta district in Kerala. In Gavi, there are fantastic options for off-road drives, trekking and camping. You can find information on these by enquiring locally. November to March is the best time to camp in the forests. Also, don’t forget to visit the Neer Veezhcha Falls and the Sabarimala View Point when in Gavi.
Visit the palaces of bygone dynasties
Pandalam Palace was the permanent residence of the Pandalam royal family, which holds a significant position in the history of Kerala. It is believed that the Pandalam kings descended from the Pandya kings of Madurai. Lord Ayyappa, one of the most adored gods of Malayali Hindus, is believed to have been born to the King of Pandalam.
Aranmula Vadakke Kottaram was built 200 years ago and is the halting place during the holy journey ‘Thiruvabharana Ghosha Yatra’, which involves a procession with the deity’s holy ornaments before the commencement of the annual festival at Aranmula Parthasarathy Temple. The palace encompasses the typical Nalukettu architecture form that prevailed in Kerala at the time.
Join the Aranmula Uthrattathi Boat Race fervour
On the Uthrattathi asterism in the Malayalam month of Chingam (corresponding to August 15th to September 20th), the stretch of the holy Pamba River becomes the venue of the annual Aranmula Uthrattathi Vallamkali (snake boat pageantry). This world-famous cultural fiesta re-enacts a historical event attributed to the Aranmula Parthasarathy Temple and has remained a unique and grand tradition in Aranmula.
Learn about the Aranmula metal mirror
The Aranmula kannadi (mirror) is a handmade metal alloy mirror made in Aranmula. The metal alloy (the exact metals used remain a family secret) mirror or front surface reflection of the mirror eliminates secondary reflections and aberrations typical of conventional silvered glass mirrors. Metallurgical experts have said that it is created with a mixture of copper and tin, where the alloy is polished by hand for days together to achieve the flawless reflection.
Buy your metal mirror from Aranmula Kannadi, +91 99950 12551
Revel in the beauty of the Thrikkakkudi Rock Cut Temple
The Thrikkakkudi Rock Cut Temple in Kaviyoor is believed to have been built in the 8th century. Its close resemblance to the Pallava style of architecture is what prompted historians to date it to a period as early as the 8th century CE. Enshrined in a square cave is the main deity, Lord Shiva, accompanied by Ganapathy, Maharshi and Dwarapalakas. The temple is under the archaeological department today.
Gape at the empty elephant cages in Konni Aanakoodu
Konni Aanakoodu, aka the Konni Elephant Reserve, was a well-known elephant training centre. Elephant capturing at Konni traces back to 1810 CE, but after the official ban on the capture of wild elephants in 1977, the training centre converted into an elephant welfare centre. Estranged and hurt calves are brought here and are provided proper medical care and are emotionally supported to ensure complete recuperation. Today, it also houses a museum worth visiting.
Experience wild nature through eco-tourism
The Kerala Forest and Wildlife Department (KFWD), in partnership with the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC), has launched the Adavi Eco-Tourism project. This innovative venture offers travellers options for adventure activities like coracle boating, white-water rafting, trekking and camping deep within the forests. Also, be sure to visit Thenmala Eco-Tourism.
Book your eco-tourism packages at the Kerala Forest and Wildlife Department.
Other places of interest in Pathanamthitta
Pathanamthitta, being the pilgrimage capital of Kerala, has many important religious monuments worth visiting and religious festivals worth attending, apart from its popular tourist spots. The most important of these are Parumala Pally, Mylapra Valiyapally, Chandanapally Valiyapally, which is one of the biggest churches in South India, St. Mary’s Orthodox Church, Niranam, the Chandanakkudam Festival of the Jama – Al Mosque, the Sreevallabha Temple and the Perunthenaruvi Falls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.