The origins of the saree date back to the Indus Valley Civilisation, one of the oldest cultures in the world. But time has failed to diminish the popularity of this beautiful Indian garment. The six-yard drape is firmly anchored in the country’s culture and continues to stand as a proud national symbol. If you’re in Delhi and want to buy a saree, these are the best shops to visit.
Raw Mango can be credited with popularising the humble, and often ignored, handwoven saree by lending it a contemporary touch. The brand employs around 500 artisans, and it takes at least 10 days to create a simple saree by hand. Raw Mango sarees have also been presented at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Raw Mango, Angoori Badi, Farm 2, Road AA, Ansal Villas, Satbadi, Chhatarpur, New Delhi, India, +91 11 65026437
A post shared by RAW MANGO | SANJAY GARG (@raw_mango) on Oct 18, 2017 at 10:57pm PDT
Ogaan is a multi-brand store housing collections from some of the most famous Indian designers. All Ogaan stores are beautifully designed, and their huge saree collection is a fine example of outstanding Indian craftsmanship. They have two flagship stores at Hauz Khas Village and Chanakyapuri and a wedding shop located at Mehrauli.
Ogaan, H-2 Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi, India, +91 9711 9919 98
Ogaan, No. 3 & 4, Malcha Marg Market, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, India, +91 011 4171 6121
Ogaan, 6/4, Kalka Das Marg, Mehrauli Road, Near Qutab Minar, New Delhi, India, +91 9971 0667 46
A post shared by Ogaan India (@ogaanindia) on Dec 7, 2017 at 8:52pm PST
If you’re looking for an exquisite saree to wear to a wedding or a festive party, then you’ll be spoilt for choice at Preeti S Kapoor’s store. Even a whole list of Bollywood stars have endorsed the brand, and seeing actresses wearing a Preeti S Kapoor ensemble has become a regular feature.
Preeti S Kapoor, 40, Shahpur Jat, New Delhi, India, +91 9810 2165 15
Banarasi sarees, which originated in the holy city of Varanasi, are one of the most sought-after drapes in India. They’re recognised for their rich silk fabric and heavy gold and silver brocades. Bageecha is a brand that has modernised these traditional sarees, and the results are stunning.
Bageecha, 87B, Baba House, Shahpur Jat, New Delhi, India, +91 11 4906 5769
A post shared by Bageecha (@bageechabanaras) on Jul 21, 2017 at 12:00am PDT
The Shaatika store in Connaught Place only stocks handcrafted Indian wear and has a selection of pure silk sarees all handmade by traditional craftsmen from various regions of India. They have a diverse collection of saree designs that suit every budget.
The first Nalli store opened in Chennai in 1928. About 60 years later, not only has the brand made its mark across all major cities in India but also has outlets in Singapore, New Jersey and California. In New Delhi, there are three massive Nalli stores, offering a wide array of designs.
Nalli, D-2, South Extension Part II, New Delhi, India, +91 11 262 699 24
Nalli, P-7/90, Connaught Place, New Delhi, India, +91 11 237 471 54
Handloom sarees are created by artisans, mostly from rural areas, using traditional weaving methods, and Shalmalini offers pure handloom sarees sourced from different parts of India. You will find attractive sarees made of fabrics such as raw silk, jute and mulberry silk here, which are all reasonably priced.
Shalmalini, C-155, Lajpat Nagar 2, New Delhi, India, +91 8826 5146 47
Pratham: The Saree Courtyard
Pratham is a one-of-a-kind brand that has found a way to promote the traditional Pichhwai art form through sarees. Pichhwai art uses paintings to narrate the life story of Lord Krishna and is mostly found in the town of Nathdwara in Rajasthan. What Pratham does is print these beautiful paintings onto handwoven linen sarees, and the brand has, unsurprisingly, found many takers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Run by the All India Handloom Fabrics Marketing Co-Operative Society, the Handloom House is a repository of textile products handwoven by over 100,000 weavers. They have a rich collection of cotton and silk sarees, all superior in quality and affordably priced.
Handloom House, Handloom Marketing Complex, Janpath, New Delhi, India, +91 11 2335 3094
Satya Paul is a brand that completely reinvented the traditional saree by offering trendy and new-age designs, which appealed to the modern customer. Their designs are always fresh, unique and edgy, earning them a worldwide fan following.
Satya Paul Signature, Shop No 333, 2nd Floor, DLF Emporio Mall, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, +91 11 460 407 21
A post shared by Satya Paul (@satyapaulindia) on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:11pm PST
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.