Being a volunteer in Delhi can be an enriching experience. You can contribute to the society while also getting the chance to explore this historically important city. Delhi has some great not-for-profit organisations working to support those who are in dire need. Here’s our pick of the best of them. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Katha started off as a humble magazine for children living in the margins of society. With dedicated efforts, the award-winning organisation has grown to include several innovative projects all committed to bringing quality education to those in need. Over the years, Katha has helped underprivileged children graduate and find employment in top firms. The Katha School of Entrepreneurship has also produced many enterprising individuals. By choosing to volunteer here, you can help improve the future of many others.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Salaam Balak Trust
Salaam Balak Trust is an organisation that supports children living and working on the streets of Delhi and Mumbai. The non-profit body was created with the proceeds of the 1988 Mira Nair-directed film Salaam Bombay!, which explored the harsh lives of street children trying to make ends meet in Mumbai. From improving their health and hygiene to offering educational opportunities and even setting up residential centres, Salaam Balak Trust works to provide holistic support to these children forced into difficult lives.
Happy Hands Foundation
India has a rich tradition of folk arts and handicrafts, but often, the skilled artisans who mostly live in rural areas tend to get the raw end of the deal. Happy Hands Foundation is committed to empowering these artisans, who not only deserve more wages but also respect for their craftsmanship. The organisation also encourages women and young people to become self-dependent and contribute to the community through arts and crafts.
If you care about the preservation of the environment, you can volunteer at Greenpeace India’s Delhi office. Working at a global NGO can be a good learning experience as well. Some of the organisation’s work here includes conservation of Indian forests, promotion of renewable energy, sustainable agriculture and providing clean air and water for everyone. It also supports the planning and execution of any personal campaigns through the GreenpeaceX project.
The positive effect of music on learning and the cognitive processes has been scientifically established. Working on this premise, Music Basti has helped many underprivileged children living in institutionalised child-care organisations to improve their learning abilities through unconventional music education programmes. If you love music and want to help make a difference through your passion, volunteering at Music Basti can be truly rewarding.
Umeed The Rehabilitation Centre
Umeed is a rehabilitation centre providing residence to those animals for whom finding homes can be hard since they are old, paralysed or suffer from some chronic diseases. The organisation also takes care of abused and neglected animals and helps facilitate their adoption processes. Umeed believes that all animals are equal, and if you agree, join in their cause to make lives better for these lovely furry friends.
Calling themselves a “moving entertainment circus”, Picture Wala travels across the country to provide entertainment in the form of creative arts to children living in the streets and slum areas. They conduct workshops on art, cinema, theatre, dance, sports, photography, self-defence and more for economically disadvantaged children. Help make the lives of these young ones more fun and meaningful and volunteer with Picture Wala.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.