India is a melting pot of religions and cultures, with a rich history and present. With various traditions present in the one country, India lures visitors from all around the world. Cultural and heritage tours in India take you beyond the luxurious facade of travel and into authentic experiences. Take a look at our picks of the best cultural and heritage tours in India.
Rajasthan: Exploring the land of the Rajputs
An alluring combination of history, heritage and the grand Rajputana lifestyle, a tour of Rajasthan lets you take a glimpse of the grandeur of India’s past. Rajasthan has some of the most beautiful cultural sites in India. Many cultural fairs are held in the state, where you can witness vibrant clothes, lively folk music and stalls selling local handicrafts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Explore: Historical buildings, forts and palaces, cultural fairs and events.
How to reach: There are two major airports in Rajasthan, at Jodhpur and Udaipur, which are well connected to Delhi and Mumbai. Rajasthan is also well connected to Delhi by rail and road.
Weather: Really hot summer days. Cold days and nights during winter.
Lucknow: The capital of the Nawabs
Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh, combines beautiful Hindu and Muslim culture. The city is full of art and heritage sites, as it was influenced by the Mughals, the Nawabs of Awadh and the British. The architecture reflects all of these cultures. Other culturally rich places in Uttar Pradesh include Agra for Taj Mahal and Varanasi for the temples.
Explore: Bada Imambara, Chhota Imambara, British Residency Complex, Rumi Darwaza.
Eat: Ulte tawe ka parantha, Galawati Kabab, Tunday Kabab, Nihari Gosht, Rogan Josh and Biryani.
How to reach: Lucknow has strong road, rail and air links to other Indian cities.
Khajuraho: The home of the Kamasutra Temples
Visiting Khajuraho gives you a sensual tour of India’s erotic history and culture. Cult icons, apsaras, demi-gods and other statues at the temples are portrayed in ‘acrobatic’ poses. The destination is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, making it a must-visit place.
Explore: Kandariya Mahadev, Vishvanath, Devi Jagadamba, Parsvanath, Chitragupta and Bijamandala temples; sound and light show, Ajaigarh Fort and Archeological Museum.
How to reach: Khajuraho is easiest to reach from Delhi by rail. The domestic airport is well connected with Delhi, Mumbai, Varanasi, Allahabad and Bhopal.
Delhi: Culture and heritage charms
The focal point of various rulers, religions, dynasties, and heritage gems, Delhi combines many different cultures. From heritage sites representing a blended historical past to the flavours of different cultures, touring Delhi is touring the entire country’s culture in one place. From dance to food to art, Delhi is not to be missed. The list of places to explore in Delhi is long and exciting.
Explore: heritage and history at Purana Qila, Humayun’s Tomb, Jantar Mantar; cultural programmes and events at Pragati Maidan and the India Habitat Centre.
Food: from a delicious mix of street delicacies to the impressive Mughlai cuisine, Delhi’s palate is as diverse as its people. The most popular street food options include Chole Bhature and Paani Puri.
How to reach: Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi is one of the best international airports in India, and a major hub. Delhi is also well-connected to almost everywhere else in India, via road and rail.
Gujarat: Rann of Kutch, the White Desert
Gujarat’s Rann Utsav festival is a cultural programme that celebrates the rich culture and heritage of the country. The event takes place every year from November to February, and highlights the beauty of the ‘land of the white desert’. Visitors can witness the creative ability of the local artisans and craftspeople, as well as vibrant folk music and dance performances.
Explore: The Rann Utsav, Aina Mahal (the palace of mirrors), Dholavira excavation site and Siyot Caves.
Food: At the Rann Utsav, don’t miss the traditional flavours of Gujarat, especially Kutchi cuisine.
How to reach: Gujarat is well-connected by road and rail to all major Indian cities. To reach the Rann Utsav, first travel to Bhuj, which is about a two-hour drive away.
Kerala: God’s own country
Kerala’s rich past is reflected in the flavours, dance and art found in this southern state. Several places within the state reflect the cultural wealth and heritage of India. From folklore to literature gems, Ayurveda to martial arts, Kerala showcases a rich culture and heritage.
Explore: Traditional dance, such as Kathakali; Ayurvedic massage; stay on a house-boat built like a traditional rice barge.
Food: Served on a plantain leaf, Keralite cuisine has evolved out of Kerala’s rich trading heritage. Modern flavours blend with local tastes. Rice is a staple, and is often served with lentil, vegetable and fish curries.
How to reach: Kerala can be reached by air, road or rail. The state has three international airports connected to major international cities, and around 200 railway stations.
Mysore: The palace city
The cultural capital of Karnataka, Mysore is also one of the top cultural destinations in India. From stunning museums to heritage gems, flavoursome cuisine and vibrant art, Mysore has a lot to explore. The religious influences add to the beauty of the city as well.
Explore: 10-day Dasara festivities, Mysore Palace, Lalitha Mahal and the temples.
Food: Udupi cuisine and Saatvik cuisine are local vegetarian delicacies prepared with local produce and served on a plantain leaf.
How to reach: Domestic and international flights land at Bangalore, 170 km from Mysore. Mysore Junction railway station is just 2 km from the central city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.