Mangalore is an extremely popular city in India not least because of its pristine beaches and beautiful parks. But it also offers visitors a variety of dishes and restaurants from delicious seafood to wood-baked pizzas. Here is a list of 10 restaurants you should definitely visit in Mangalore.
Pallkhi is one the most trusted and popular restaurants in Mangalore. It is one of those rare restaurants that attract couples looking for an intimate dinner as well as big groups looking to have a fun meal. It has a rooftop eating area for candlelight dinners, which offers gorgeous views of downtown Mangalore and a party hall for big groups. The menu offers traditional Mangalorean cuisine along with North Indian, South Indian and Chinese influences. It also houses a bar which stocks wines, beers and spirits ideal to accompany any meal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hotel Narayana, or Narayana, is a quaint and charming restaurant serving the best fish fry in the city. This little restaurant tucked near the old port was opened to serve the people working in the port but the word soon spread about its delicious dishes and today it is an iconic eatery. The menu offers vegetarian and fish meals, the latter being the star attraction. Hotel Narayana is a testament to how the love for cooking and great service can turn a tiny restaurant into a huge success.
In Mangalore, there are many restaurants serving brilliant seafood, especially fish. Giri Manja’s is one such restaurant and might be the best among all the others. An old house which has been converted into a restaurant, the interiors makes visitors feel at home and relaxed with its peaceful ambiance and cheerful servers. There is no printed menu here but the servers will recite the specials and dishes of the day. There are no separate tables and chairs but two long tables, giving it a communal feel. The menu here mainly consists of seafood. Giri Manja is one of the most visited places in Mangalore and should be on your list too.
Maharaja is a famous restaurant in Mangalore that’s preferred by families looking for a place to have an affordable lunch or dinner. It has an outdoor seating area as well as a spacious air conditioned section. Maharaja is well-known for its North Indian fares and its star attraction being the veg and non-vegetarian ghee roast. The service is prompt and it also serves delicious desserts.
Gajalee is very popular in Mangalore and throughout India too. It is located upon a hilltop and offers the most stunning views of the city and its natural surroundings. An old circuit-house from the British India era, the building was converted into Gajalee. The ambiance is a very relaxed and the French windows along with the whitewashed walls make the experience of dining in Gajalee a marvellous one.
Located slightly outside the city, Madhuvans Village is a popular family restaurant known for its seafood and continental fares. The restaurant is caters for families and serves various cuisines from places such as North Indian, Chinese, Continental and Mughlai. The décor with its thatched roof, mud pots and wooden items give a sense of being in a rural area or a village. It’s a great place to go with your family for a dinner filled with delicious food, loved ones and a calming ambiance.
Located near the Mangalore City Corporation, Sizzler’s Ranch, as the name suggests, is known only for its sizzlers. The sizzlers here are extremely delicious. Although this restaurant is a heaven for meat lovers, there are many delicious vegetarian options too. Sizzler’s Ranch also offers great desserts which should be tried despite the enormous main meal portions.
A favourite among the residents of Mangalore, this restaurant is over two decades old. Janatha Deluxe is an all vegetarian restaurant usually preferred by the masses for a hearty breakfast before they head to work, it also offers an array of options of lunch and dinner too, and all this at affordable prices. From traditional South Indian cuisines to North Indian foods, Janatha Deluxe has managed to keep its customers happy with both cuisines being top notch in quality and taste.
Situated in Hotel Ocean Pearl is the famous vegetarian restaurant Sagar Ratna. Most citizens of Mangalore swear by this restaurant because of its authentic cooking, delicious taste and co-operative staff. The menu offers North Indian, South Indian and Chinese fare, with the South Indian being the most well known. The thali (full meal) is a star attraction here. Sagar Ratna is a great place to visit alone or with family to have a quiet meal any time of the day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.