Mumbai roads have a perennial problem – potholes. These potholes have become the talk of the town again, all due to a satirical song sung by Mumbai RJ Malishka. While the funny song that depicts the age-old potholes problem on Mumbai roads has managed to garner support from locals, on the other hand, it has peeved the regional political party, Shiv Sena, which happens to be the ruling party in BMC (Mumbai’s Civic Body). Here’s everything you need to know about the drama.
Having spent crores on the reconstruction and maintenance of roads, the pothole problem in Mumbai is still prevalent. These potholed roads are risky, causing fatal accidents. Thousands of deaths were reported due to potholed roads in Mumbai and the need to raise the voice against this crucial problem is more important than ever.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
RJ Malishka Mendonsa (also known as ’Mumbai Ki Rani’) along with her 93.5 Red FM team found the best way to attract much-needed attention to this recurring problem was by composing a rap on the ‘potholes problem’.
What is the Pothole Song?
In the viral video, the RJ tells about the terrible state of the Mumbai roads during monsoon, albeit in a humorous way. She bewails the city’s pothole-riddled and water-clogged streets and blames the civic body, BMC (Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation) for not maintaining the roads.
Titled: ‘Mumbai tula BMC var bharosa nai ka’, which means, ‘Mumbai, Don’t you have faith in BMC’, the song speaks about delayed local train schedules due to incessant rains, traffic jams during the monsoons, and potholes on Mumbai roads.
Reactions to the Video
This video has gone viral and unsurprisingly has gained immense support and applause from the Mumbaikars and others on social media, while at the same time receiving flak from the political party, Shiv Sena.
The song has put Red FM and the RJ into legal trouble. The video has made the party furious, so much in fact, that they have threatened her and the radio station with an INR 500 CR defamation suit for defaming BMC and Mumbai. The Shiv Sena leader Samadhan Sarvankar said: “The whole aim of the song created by RJ and her team is to malign a public body and mislead citizens”, Deccan Herald reported.
After the satirical video, the RJ was slammed with a legal notice by the BMC over breeding dengue mosquitoes at her apartment in Bandra. As per the BMC officials, “during their routine inspection in Bandra, they found dengue mosquitoes in the indoor plants of the RJ’s house”.
As political bigwigs continue to express their anger, common people in Mumbai are supporting the ‘Mumbai Ki Rani’, no matter what! This song has, literally, given a voice to Mumbaikers.
Amid the tussle with the civic body, recently the RJ said:
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.