For over 400 years, two villages in India have spoken Sanskrit, a language with origins dating from the second millennium BCE. The ancient language is not spoken in day-to-day life by anyone in the country but them. Every generation in Mattur and Hosahalli learns and teaches Sanskrit, making sure the language never goes extinct.
The history of Sanskrit
Sanskrit is a liturgical language in India and other places in South Asia, and was used to write many important holy Hindu scriptures in the ancient times. These days, Hindu priests speak Sanskrit in temples during worship and religious occasions, and they train for years to speak it fluently. Learning and speaking Sanskrit is held in high regard; it is somewhat like a sacred language, and knowing it means that a person is highly learned.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How Mattur and Hosahalli have kept Sanskrit from dying out
At a glance, Mattur or Hosahalli don’t seem to be any different from other villages in Shimoga, Karnataka. Typical in this area, the two villages grow areca nut, coconut and palm trees in abundance. They are separated by the serene river Tunga that runs between them.
In the 16th century, King Krishna Deva Raya made Mattur and Hosahalli centers of Sanskrit learning, so that the language would never be forgotten. He ‘gifted’ the villages to the people and made them responsible for preserving the language. The gift was made official with copper plate inscriptions that are now in the care of the Archeology Department of Karnataka.
While other villages in the area speak Kannada–Karnataka’s official language–the people of Mattur and Hosahalli begin their day by reciting Sanskrit verses. Children are taught Sanskrit in school, and they speak to each other in Sanskrit too. Some even go on to teach the language in city universities, to raise awareness of the language.
India has recognised the efforts that Mattur and Hosahalli has made to keep the language alive. In 2010, the Karnataka Renewable Energy Development Limited funded the installation of LED lamps in these two villages, a first in the entire district. Even politicians who visit prepare their speeches in Sanskrit.
The two hamlets have started to create a stir internationally, too. People from different parts of the world come to the villages to learn Sanskrit and study the lives of the villagers. They’re offered lessons by K.N. Markandeya Avadhani, a Sanskrit scholar who has been awarded by the state of Karnataka for his contributions to raising awareness of the language.
There are no guest houses or hotels here, so the only places to stay there are in the schools or as someone’s guest. The nearest airport is about 200 kms away, in Mangalore.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.