Earlier, we brought you an introductory guide to Sufi music in the Indian subcontinent. We now bring you a list of some of the most renowned contemporary Sufi musicians you should know. With their unique musical renditions of poetry by great Sufi saints from centuries past, these singers grace the musical scene in the Indian subcontinent like few others can.
Dubbed ‘The Queen of Sufi Music,’ this Pakistani Sufi singer sings in Urdu, Sindhi, Saraiki, Punjabi and Persian. Considered to be one of the world’s greatest mystic singers, Parveen has been performing since the early 1970s. Known worldwide for her musical renditions of poetry by Sufi saints and poets, including the likes of Amir Khusro, Bulleh Shah and more. In 2012, she was awarded the Hilal-e-Imtiaz, Pakistan’s second highest civilian award, for her musical contributions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ustad Puran Chand Wadali and Pyarelal Wadali, from a small village near Amritsar, Punjab, have been singing the spiritual messages of Sufi saints for over three decades. However, they didn’t always have a musical inclination. Prior to becoming Sufi singers, Puran Chand used to be a local wrestler, while younger brother Pyarelal used to dress as Hindu deity Krishna in the village’s Raas Leela (re-enactment of the story of Krishna). In the tradition of Sufism, they consider themselves to be a medium through which the messages and wisdom of great saints can be passed on to others. Besides international fandom and respect, they’ve also won a Padma Shri (India’s fourth highest civilian award), which was awarded to Puran Chand Wadali by the Government of India.
Though this legendary singer from Pakistan is said to have started singing at the age of five, he didn’t produce a record until almost half a century later, in 2006. He sang primarily in Sufi shrines and on the streets, having left home at the age of ten to roam through the provinces of Sindh and Punjab in Pakistan. He is known mostly for singing poems by Sufi poets such as Bulleh Shah, Shah Badakhshi and Muhammad Qadiri. His first album, Awazay, was released in 2006, following which he appeared on live music shows, such as Coke Studio Pakistan, and worked on film soundtracks, including that of a Bollywood film, Mirzya (2016).
One of India’s most well known contemporary Sufi and classical singer, Zila Khan was one of the few artists to be featured in the ‘Incredible India’ advertisement campaign by India’s Ministry of Tourism, and is also regularly invited to perform at Presidential and Prime Ministerial level receptions held by the Indian Government. Khan comes from a musical family, with her father, Ustad Vilayat Khan, being one of the country’s most celebrated sitarists and one of the pioneer musicians who introduced Indian classical music to the rest of the world. Even her name was taken by her father from the composition ‘Zila Kaafi’ by thirteenth-century Sufi poet Amir Khusrau.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.