Both a cultural hub and an economic powerhouse, Bangalore is one of the fastest-growing cities in India. Often referred to as the Silicon Valley of the country, the city is full of internationally renowned entrepreneurs who have moved to this buzzing metropolis from all corners of the globe, bringing with them a diversity that’s also culinary. Highlighting the best of these lively eateries, here is our updated take on Bangalore’s 10 best restaurants.
Ran by fashion designer duo Sonali Sattar and Himanshi Dimri, Grasshopper provides guests with a fusion of the best food and design, within its four walls. The perfect spot for an unhurried, relaxing meal far from the bustle of urban life, Grasshopper is situated on the duo’s farm – an appealing choice for many city dwellers. The outdoor dining area is surrounded by a lush garden and often has live music, making it extremely easy for guests to spend hours sipping their drinks and working their way through an impressive seven-course menu, having lost all track of time in this peaceful oasis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Offering one of the most coveted dining experiences in the city, Karavalli at The Gateway Hotel features on the list of San Pellegrino Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants. Visitors here can feast on an array of excellent South Indian dishes, from seasonal curries to wood-fired meats. Focusing on the regional diversity of south-western communities, Head Chef Naren Thimmaiah takes care to include a variety of dishes on his menu, ensuring that there are specialities from a range of different regions, including Mangalore and Goa. Seafood features heavily on the menu, and there are plenty of vegetarian options available too.
A favourite hangout spot among locals, Café Thulp! is said to serve the best burgers in Bangalore. The freshly made beef burgers are gourmet, and are available with a variety of toppings, ranging from the standard to the adventurous. Keep it simple with a beef patty, or for something more extravagant, try the gonzeshwara burger, which is comprised of a fillet steak wrapped in bacon, topped with cheese and an egg. Vegetarians are also catered for, with tasty options such as the falafel veggie burger and the crispy sweetcorn and tofu burger.
Edo Restaurant and Bar
Located within the ITC Gardenia Hotel, Edo Restaurant is an authentic Japanese eatery serving Bangalore a wide variety of luxuriously tasty dishes. Talented sushi chefs create aesthetic reations in front of diners at the open sushi bar, and a range of sashimi and cooked items are also available. Try the shabu shabu (a Japanese-style hot pot), perfect for warming up with on a chilly day, or for a sweeter broth, go for the sukiyaki. The restaurant itself is minimalist in design, and oozes comfort with its relaxing décor. Each of the dishes here are outstanding, both in taste and preparation, making this a great choice restaurant for a special occasion dinner.
Imli Cafe and Restaurant
One for vegetarians, Imli Café and Restaurant has a strong focus on North Indian home cooking. The menu includes a mix of dishes well known in the Western world as well as completely new ones such as aloo ki gotiyan, pav bhaji, and the phulkha combo. The cafe itself is housed in a lovely converted bungalow, and has ample outdoor seating on its pretty terrace, perfect for enjoying dinner with friends on a warm summer evening. Both friendly and affordable, Imli Cafe and Restaurant has a certain charm to it, and uses only freshly sourced, high-quality ingredients to make its wholesome meals.
Enabling guests to take charge of their own barbecue right at their table, Barbeque Nation specialises in sizzling meats, seafood and vegetarian delicacies. A live grill is embedded into each of the tables so that diners can cook their choice of starters themselves – ensuring that meat is cooked exactly to each individual’s liking and that nothing has the slightest chance of getting cold before being devoured. In the evenings there is also an all-you-can eat buffet of grilled treats that come at a set price, so there won’t be any surprises when the bill arrives. Be sure to try the paneer tikka lazawab, the barbecue prawns, and the kadhai paneer.
Situated within the Sheraton Hotel Bangalore, the Persian Terrace is a must-visit dining venue, for both hotel guests and those staying elsewhere in the city. Entirely open-air, diners are invited to enjoy their meal under the stars at this fourth-floor terrace restaurant. Tables are lit up with Middle Eastern-style lanterns, candles and tea lights, transporting guests from India to Persia to experience a colourful Arabian night. The menu is full of Iranian delights, including bread fresh from the hot tandoor oven, a series of meze platters, pilafs and juicy kebabs straight from the live BBQ station. Overlooking the ISCKON Temple, dinner at the Persian Terrace is both an elegant and a romantic experience.
The Royal Afghan
Dine in luxury at The Royal Afghan within The Windsor Hotel. Offering guests views over the starlit pool, the restaurant is open for lunch every Saturday and Sunday, and dinner daily. With a focus on authentic, traditional dishes from the North West Frontier, the menu is full of kebabs, vegetarian dishes, Indian breads, dal bukhara, and a selection of delicacies cooked in a clay tandoor. Ask the staff at the restaurant to pair your choice of dishes with the most appropriate bottle of fine wine, to complete the elegant experience. Children under 12 years of age are not permitted in the restaurant.
Learn to love vegetarian food at the Time Traveller restaurant, nestled within the Sai Vishramhotel near Electronic City. A 24-hour coffee shop, Time Traveller also puts on an excellent spread, with its 12 salads, soup selection, 18 main courses, and a dozen desserts at its lunch and dinner buffets. The a la carte menu is equally good, taking inspiration from across the globe, and including dishes from Greece, China, Italy and Mexico alongside the Indian classics. The Sai Vishram brand prides itself on using only healthy, meat-free and environmentally friendly foods in its restaurants, and as such Time Traveller also caters for almost any dietary requirement or choice. Staff are superb and the food is delicious, so reserve a table to avoid disappointment.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.