Sightseeing can be exhausting. A good way to deal with this is to stop treating hotels as a place to crash after a long day of sightseeing, and instead look for unique places such as heritage hotels, home stays and farm stays, thus, making the stay itself an experience. Here are 10 unique accommodation options in India.
Located on the outskirts of touristy Shimla, this hotel combines the Oberoi service with the colonial history and the surrounding nature to provide a unique experience. The hotel used to be the home of Lord Kitchener and is situated on top of a hill amidst a protected forest. You can spend days walking through the various nature trails around the hotel (with or without guides) and take a picnic made by the hotel’s excellent chefs with you.
This is truly a relaxing weekend retreat from Mumbai. The hotel is a bungalow with a courtyard (and a swimming pool) in the center, allowing fresh air and sunshine to brighten up your life. Ark Wellness Retreat also has a herb garden, there are multiple seating areas where you can plonk yourself for hours, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine and reading a good book. You wont be bothered by your phone since there is limited mobile connectivity. If you would like to paint they will provide you with a canvas, an easel, brushes and paints. They also have a spa to complete the wellness experience. The meals are good, a lot of their ingredients are very fresh, either from their own garden or from the farms nearby. The back porch overlooking a stream, is the perfect spot to unwind and maybe do some yoga.
This is a 12th-century Chalukya palace located in a small and underdeveloped village on the border of Gujarat and Rajasthan. Managed primarily by the king Harendrapal Sinh, they offer a personalized experience to their guests. Mr. Sinh himself will literally ‘hang out’ with you and tell you storie. His wife, Kuwarani Kailash Kumari, heads the kitchen and makes sure you are served high-quality, home-cooked meals. Mr. Sinh also organizes trips to his farm, and you can have a picnic there with local delicacies cooked on a wood-fired oven.
This is a new palace that was rebuilt on the location of an ancient palace. They work hard to maintain the Rajasthani tradition of providing the best possible service to the guests, along with the tastiest food. The food here is not cooked as per a menu; fresh meals are prepared as the guest choose.
Located an hour’s drive away from Shillong, this is a farm stay in a valley, with two rivers and several mountains. You can get a spacious and clean room in a log cabin, along with an attached toilet at an affordable rate. The farm is owned and managed by Mr. James Perry, a treasure trove of information about traveling through Meghalaya in a non-touristy fashion.
The only way to access the farm is by a jeep since you have to go through a river. James is very honest about this being his home and not a typical hotel where you can make random demands at odd hours. If you inform him with a few hours notice, James or his wife will cook you a nice, homey meal. The farm is also very close to the Mawphlang Sacred Forest, and James will pack you a picnic lunch if you want to trek up there (around 20 minutes) and enjoy the serenity of the mountain peak and the forest. Please note that their toilet does not have hot water, but you can access hot water in the common shower area. This is a sustainable farm that runs on wind and solar energy. For dog lovers, this place is truly a delight, with around four dogs running around and happy to play with you.
Located near Coonoor in Karnataka, this is an organic cheese-making farm and homestay. Every meal here is accompanied with an exotic cheese and interesting conversations with the hosts Mansoor and Tina and the other guests. The guests are welcome to help out in the kitchen and can even do a cheese-making course. The rooms are built far away from each other, thus, allowing privacy and peace. It is quite common for elephants to pass so you might be lucky enough to see one.
This palace used to be the winter residence of the royal family of Jaipur (hence the name). Over the years, it fell into disrepair, and some say that it was referred to as a ‘bhoot bangla’due to the ruinous state it was in. It has now been refurbished into a heritage hotel that allows you to enjoy scenic views of Mount Abu. Once again, Rajasthani-style service is provided. If you stay in the highest room in this palace, you can enjoy a 360 degree view of Mount Abu, even from the bath tub. Don’t forget to climb up to the little watch tower above the terrace where you can serenely sit and observe the winter mist on the city below.
Most of the hotels in Gokarna don’t take reservations in advance. If you do not want to risk not having a place to stay when you show up, this homestay in a village around 8-9 kilometers from the main beaches is worth considering. Literally meaning ‘house with a tiled roof,’ Hanchina Mane is the host family’s farm and house, in which you can rent a room and enjoy their hospitality. The hosts Mr. Rajiv Gaonkar and his wife go out of the way to make you comfortable. It is also worth walking around their farm and observing the plants that they have cultivated.
Still looking for somewhere to stay? Check out the best beach hotels in India, bookable now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.