There’s a host of forest trails for nature lovers to explore across India. Be it the striking Rhododendron Forest in Sikkim, the sacred Mawphlang Forest guarded by a local deity or the Gir Forest, which is the only habitat in the world for Asiatic lions, there are adventures and memories all waiting to happen at these 10 incredible forests in India.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mawphlang Sacred Forest
The Mawphlang Sacred Forest in the state of Meghalaya is said to be protected by a deity named Labasa. Locals say that if an object belonging to the forest, even a leaf or a tiny pebble, is removed, Labasa tends to get upset. It is believed that once, soldiers from the Indian Army took a log from the forest. But when they loaded their truck, the vehicle just wouldn’t start, so they had to put the log back in the forest. Mawphlang Sacred Forest is, therefore, enchanting not just for its beauty but also for its supernatural quality.
Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary
Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary is a forest in Sikkim, a small state in the north-east region of India. When the flowers are in full bloom, between late March and May, the sleepy forest suddenly becomes shrouded in stunning colours. The forest trail is ideal for short hikes as it can easily be completed under two hours and is not very challenging. Barsey is also the starting point for the popular Gorkhey-Phalut trek through the Singalila National Park in Darjeeling.
Chokramudi is a peak located in the Western Ghats mountain range in the beautiful hill-station of Munnar in Kerala. While the view from Chokramudi Peak is breathtaking, the forest trail that takes you to the summit makes for an equally amazing experience. Along the way is a dense shola, which is a patch of stunted tropical forest found in the hills of South India. Watch out for rain as the rocky path tends to get slippery when it is wet.
Andharban, which means dark forest, is another woodland worth visiting in the great Western Ghats. Monsoon season is the best time to enjoy this jungle trek near the city of Pune when the lush green forest has just been replenished by heavy rain. This unusual trail requires you to climb downhill for about three to four hours until you reach the heart of Andharban. Streams and cascading waterfalls dotting the thick forest all add to its charm.
The forest trail at Kalatop-Khajjiar Sanctuary in Himachal Pradesh is perfect if you want to enjoy a leisurely hike. Pine, deodar and oak trees make up the forest, which is home to a number of flora and fauna, including Himalayan black bears, leopards, deer and gorals. There’s a sprawling meadow right in the middle of the sanctuary where wildflowers grow beautifully during the spring and summer seasons.
The biodiversity-rich Anantagiri and Sunkarimetta Reserved Forest are both located in Araku Valley in Andhra Pradesh. You’ll come across more than a few waterfalls during a short trek through this forest area, where you can also visit the ancient Borra Caves, which have inspired many legends. A number of tribes reside in the valley and there’s a tribal museum dedicated to the natives. Since coffee plantation is rampant in the area, there’s also a coffee museum that you can visit here.
Valley of Flowers National Park
Botanical Garden, Park
Valley of Flowers National Park is one of the most scenic spots in all of India. The best time to visit is in the month of June when flowers of all hues cloak the verdant meadows. The most common flowers found here are orchids, daisies, marigolds, poppies and primulas. The valley also hosts diverse species of medicinal plants, many of which are considered to be endangered.
Gir Forest National Park
Gir Forest National Park in Gujarat is best known for being the residence of the mighty Asiatic lion. There was some good news last year when it was revealed that the population of the endangered species, who were found nowhere else in the world but Gir, had increased fourfold during the past five decades. Asiatic lions aren’t the only carnivores in this forest, which also harbours leopards, hyenas and golden jackals. During a safari tour of Gir Forest, it isn’t guaranteed that you’ll spot a lion but the excursion is still very rewarding.
Deoria Tal is a lake situated at an altitude of about 8,000 feet and is believed by the Hindus to be the bathing place of the gods. To reach the lake, you have to trek across a thick, wooded forest. It’s a good idea to camp for the night in the jungle for a more wholesome experience. This part of the forest trail is lined with rhododendron trees, which bloom during the spring. For bird watchers, especially, the hike up to Deoria Tal is full of excitement and surprises.
Sundarbans National Park
Sundarbans National Park stretches across India and Bangladesh and is famous for its mangrove forest, which happens to be one of the largest of its kind in the world. The royal Bengal tiger and other threatened species, like the estuarine crocodile and the Indian python, call the Sunderbans home along with over 250 bird species. December to February is considered the ideal time to visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.