Mumbai is an amazing city with plenty of things to do and see. However, the scorching summer temperatures and the hectic life of this giant metropolis can sometimes get on your nerves. Thankfully, there are numerous hill stations located close by in case you need to get away from it all and just be at one with nature. Here are some of the best hill stations near Mumbai, India.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nestled at an altitude of 800 meters in the Western Ghats, Matheran is an eco-sensitive region and automobile-free hill station. There is abundant natural beauty, wildlife, trekking trails and about 33 lookout points offering panoramic views of the area, which makes it a top choice for nature lovers, photographers and adventurers. To really admire all Matheran has to offer, ride the ‘toy train’ that covers the dense forests and hills of the town.
Located in the Sahyadri mountain ranges, Mahabaleshwar is a popular hill station, and it’s easy to see why. There are scenic waterfalls, lush green hills and a wide variety of flora and fauna, thus offering something for everyone from nature lovers to adventurers and wildlife enthusiasts. When visiting, be sure to take a boat ride on the Venna Lake, hike the Pratapgad Fort for the unbeatable views, cool off and enjoy a picnic at the Lingamala Falls, soak in the sunset and enjoy 360-degree views from the Connaught Peak or Lodwick Point, and marvel at the spectacular natural rock formation, called Elephant Point. And, don’t miss sampling the fresh strawberries picked up from the Mapro Garden.
Lonavala-Khandala are tourist-heavy hill stations. From lush green hills and scenic waterfalls to historic forts and everything in between, spectacular vistas greet visitors at seemingly every turn in this twin hill station. Plus, its location in the Sahyadri ranges provides a perfect opportunity for adventure enthusiasts to try their hand at a variety of activities, including trekking, camping and rock climbing, to name a few. Some of the must-visit attractions include Bushi Dam, Rajmachi Fort, Karla and Bedsa Caves, Aambey Valley, Visapur Fort, Lohagad Fort, Tiger’s Leap and Kune Waterfalls.
Amidst the highest peaks of Sahyadris in the Western Ghats lie a scenic hill station of Igatpuri, which is a hot spot for recreational activities, such as trekking and hiking. For some serious spirituality and serenity, the hill station boasts the Dhammagiri meditation center, where visitors can partake in insight meditation (Vipasana). Other highlights include Tringalwadi Fort set at an elevation of 914 meters and offering picturesque views of the area, the Bhatsa River Valley and Camel Valley, the Ghatandevi Temple and Amruteshwar Temple.
Surrounded by five hills, Panchgani was a summer resort used by the British back in time. Today, it is one of the popular hill stations that boasts some of the well-preserved British architecture, plus a pleasant weather and plenty of natural beauty to boot. Trekking and hiking here is particularly rewarding, with routes passing through the hills, lush valleys and forests.
Visitors adore Karjat for its unparalleled beauty and unrivalled access to the stunning hilly terrains, including the Western Ghats, Sahyadri and Bhorghat. Indulge in adventure activities, such as trekking, mountain climbing or river rafting; go spelunking in the Kondana Caves, or just kick back and relax in the natural surroundings.
In the lap of Sahyadri hills lies the serene hill station of Amboli. It is the smallest hill station, yet has plenty to offer everyone, from nature lovers to wildlife enthusiasts and adventurers. Visitors to Amboli can trek to the Madhavgad Fort offering breathtaking views, take a nature walk in the verdant forests brimming with a wide variety of flora and fauna, or admire the beauty of Amboli Falls or Nangarta Falls.
Located in the Kolhapur district, Panhala is a quiet and calm hill station, brimming with medieval forts and spectacular vistas of the Sahyadri mountain ranges. One of the most notable attractions is the Panhala Fort that is perched atop a hill, offering panoramic views of the area. Other must-visits include Sajja Kothi, Parashar Caves, Sambhaji Temple and Someshwar Tank. Breathe in some fresh air and relax in this natural haven!
Lavasa is an up-and-coming modern hill station spread across seven hills. It’s a fantastic place to go for adventure and leisure activities. Visitors can get active with pursuits, such as golf and watersports. Those not up for adventure can take a stroll around the town, soak in the beauty, and gaze upon the multicoloured buildings and the Temghar Dam, which is one of the major attractions here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.