While it might be a small country, eSwatini is a haven for lovers of wildlife and the great outdoors.
The small territory of eSwatini has 17 protected areas and is home to a diverse array of animals and birds. Here are some of the country’s best spots to see its different types of wildlife.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The best places to see big game
If you’re keen to see big game while in eSwatini, it’s best to head to Hlane Royal National Park or Mkhaya Game Reserve, where you’ll be able to see large mammals such as elephants, rhino, giraffe, zebra and hippos. Mkhaya is a special park to visit because it is a sanctuary for endangered species, and is one of the best places in Africa to see both black and white rhinos. At Mkhaya you can track rhinos on foot and often have the opportunity to get close to friendly white rhinos – although the more aggressive black rhinos are a different story.
See wildlife at eSwatini’s other renowned wildlife parks
Although it’s only Hlane and Mkhaya where you’ll find big game, you’ll still find a large variety of smaller mammals as well as antelope at other wildlife parks. The picturesque Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary is the country’s best-known nature reserve. It was the first park to be converted into a sanctuary by Ted Reilly in 1961 as a way of protecting the kingdom’s remaining wildlife from hunting. Now, Mlilwane is home to a range of smaller mammals such as zebra, impala, warthogs, blue wildebeest, vervet monkeys and baboons as well as hippos (the only big animals in the park) and various antelope like kudu and nyala. Rare types of antelope – roan and oribi – can be seen on a guided tour of protected, enclosed areas of the park.
Find the country’s national symbol: the lion
The lion – known as ‘ngwenyama’ in the siSwati language – is an incredibly important animal in eSwatini: the figure of the lion is depicted on the national coat of arms and is the country’s emblem as well as representing the king in Swati culture. You can see lions in eSwatini, but only in Hlane Royal National Park, which is managed by Big Game Parks on behalf of the king. The lions live in a fenced area separate to some of the other animals, and can be seen on guided game drives of the park.
The Kingdom of eSwatini is home to 493 species of birds, 52 of which are endemic to southern Africa – which is particularly impressive considering the country’s small size. By comparison, Kruger National Park in South Africa has just over 500 types of bird. Because eSwatini has such a variety of different habitats in close proximity, many different birds can be found relatively close together. This is particularly true of the Lowveld region, where it’s said you can see around 100 species of bird in one day at parks like Hlane or Mlawula. What makes the country particularly special for bird watching is that it’s a breeding site for one of Africa’s rarest birds: the blue swallow. The rare African finfoot can also be viewed at Mbuluzi Game Reserve.
Encounter endemic reptiles and amphibians
Like its abundant wildlife, eSwatini is also home to many different species of reptiles – 111 to be precise. This includes the endemic Swazi thick-tailed rock gecko (Afroedura major) and the near-endemic Swazi rock snake (Lamprophis swazicus) and Barberton girdled lizard (Cordylus warreni barbertonensis), which can be found in several of the national parks.
Enjoy the stunning scenery and beautiful flora
Put simply, eSwatini is a stunning country with a huge variety of beautiful landscapes. There are more than 3,500 species of plants, 25 of which are endemic to eSwatini. Malolotja Nature Reserve is especially picturesque in the spring and summer when you’ll see a breathtaking display of flowers, although if you particularly want to see aloes, it’s better to visit in winter. This small country also has a huge number of trees (counting over 600 different species), with the Mlawula Nature Reserve and the Lubombo Mountains being good areas for diversity of trees. The Nisela private game reserve, which you can explore on foot with or without a guide, has flora and fauna found nowhere else in the country.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.