King Mswati III of eSwatini (formerly Swaziland) is head of the last absolute monarchy in Africa and one of the few remaining in the world. Take a look at this brief introduction to this fascinating nation’s royal family.
King Mswati III has supreme power to rule the land as he wishes, and his authority is unrestricted and without legal opposition. This was demonstrated in April 2018 when he announced, unexpectedly and without public consultation, that he had changed the name of the country from ‘Swaziland’ to ‘the Kingdom of eSwatini.’ The name change became a key part of eSwatini’s ’50/50 celebrations’, which marked both the King’s 50th birthday and the country’s 50th year of independence.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The family structure
In Swati culture, the king is expected to marry women from various clans across the country to ensure continuing national unity, and King Mswati III is no exception. He has 14 wives, each of whom has at least one child. However, trying to confirm the exact number of his offspring is difficult: in eSwatini, it is not permitted disclose information about the King’s private life, which includes the total number of children he has.
Mswati III’s father, King Sobhuza II was reported to have had hundreds of children and thousands of grandchildren when he passed away in 1982 aged 83. At the time of his death, Sobhuza II was the longest reigning monarch in the world, having ascended to the throne aged just four months. Because he was so young when his father died, Sobhuza’s grandmother, Labotsibeni Mduli, acted as regent until she officially handed her duties over to him in December 1921 when he was 22 years old.
The two most crucial figures in eSwatini’s monarchy are the lion (‘ngwenyama‘ in siSwati language) – aka the King – and the she-elephant (‘ndlovukazi‘): the Queen Mother. They’re so important that they’re depicted on the national coat of arms: a lion and elephant both holding a Swazi shield bearing the king’s crown of feathers above the national motto: ‘We are the fortress’. So, if the heir to the throne is still a minor, the Queen Mother will assume the responsibilities of Regent until he is old enough to take on his duties. At that point, he would become the ‘ngwenyama‘ and his mother the ‘ndlovukazi‘.
This was also the case for the current King, Mswati III, who was attending Sherborne School in England when his father died. Until Prince Makhosetive (as he was then called) returned from his studies to ascend to the throne in 1986, Queen Dzeliwe (Sobhuza II’s wife and Mswati III’s mother) acted as regent.
While his children’s lives are usually kept out of the public eye, the best-known of the King’s offspring is Princess Sikhanyiso. Commonly known as ‘Pashu’, she is the King’s eldest daughter and leads the Umhlanga Reed Dance festival each year. Born in 1987, she has studied in England, America and Australia, and is an aspiring actress and rapper.
The identity of the next monarch is currently unknown because the rules of succession are complex, and a king cannot appoint his successor. Instead, the heir to the throne is chosen based on his mother’s status. Following the King’s death, the Royal Council chooses the new Queen Mother according to her rank and character. She cannot be either of the King’s first two wives who are ‘ritual wives’ chosen for him when he becomes King. Once the Queen Mother has been selected, her son (she cannot have more than one and he must be unmarried) will become the new King and absolute ruler of the monarchy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.