Whether you’re a cicerone or a novice beer drinker, you’ll be spoiled for choice at one of these breweries situated in or near Johannesburg. Expect a combination of tasty food, live music and, of course, quality craft beer brewed on home ground.
Situated in the heart of Johannesburg, Backwards Bean Brewery’s process is all about quality and consistency. Beers are available to purchase via their Facebook page or from a variety of stockists. The Beagle English pale ale is a favourite and they’ve recently added a Kingslayer IPA and red ale to the list.
Inmind Brewing Company was established by father-and-son duo Trevor and Vernon Prinsloo in 2014. Both recall fond memories of beer; Trevor remembers brewing pineapple beer as a student, while Vernon often watched his grandfather brew ginger beer using split raisins. Inmind Brewing Company produces two beers, their Lone lager and IBC ale, both of which are available at various liquor stores across the country.
If you love a good stout then Just Brewing Company’s chocolate coffee stout is right up your alley. For those who prefer their beer on the lighter side, the pale ale is a must. The Boksburg-based brewery was established in 2014 and has five delicious beers that don their label. Brewery tours take place once a month, cost R40 (US$3) and include a free pint.
SMACK! Republic Brewing Co.
SMACK! Republic Brewing Co. launched in 2013 and combines art and a love of brewing beer, and their creative label designs attest to this. The brewery recently expanded and moved from the trendy Arts on Main space to an industrial venue, and will be launching a taproom in the city soon. They currently have five beers, including the cleverly named Maboneng Maverick (a Belgian wheat beer), The Hillbrow Honey (a pale ale) and The Newtown Nemesis (a stout). The brewery is currently moving to an exciting new venue but you can get in touch at +27 84 491 0779.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Optimum Craft Brewery is a family-run business which opened in 2016 and started off with a DIY beer brewing kit. Equipment was upgraded, recipes created and tested and, soon after, beers were being bottled and sold. Their two beers, Headless Huntsman (an amber ale) and The Dictator (an IPA), will soon be joined by a third; the Buxom Barmaid.
Most famous for its Soweto Gold lager, this brewery – situated in the township – was established in 2012 and has continued to impress its loyal following. From their Apple ale to the Orlando stout, co-owners Ndumiso Madlala and Sello Ditjoe have grown Soweto Gold into a household name. A trip to Soweto is unforgettable and The Kasi Beer Garden at the Ubuntu Kraal Brewery, home of Soweto Gold, offers beer tastings and brewery tours, as well as meet-and-greets with the team behind the iconic brand.
A day outing at its best, Gilroy’s Brewery is one of those spots where guests pop in for one beer and end up staying for hours. There’s great food, live music and a bustling atmosphere, with amazing craft beer to complement it all. On Saturdays at 11am guests can book a brewery experience with Steve Gilroy himself. He’ll share his impressive knowledge, add some humour to the mix and guests will get to taste the four beers under Gilroy’s label.
Find them by travelling on the R114 (Muldersdrift/Diepsloot) and look out for the Ngwenya Village, close to the N14/Beyers Naude ramps, Muldersdrift, Johannesburg, South Africa, +27 11 796 3020
Brewhogs has come a long way since its initial establishment in 1985. The brewery initially opened as an attraction in Gold Reef City before moving to The World of Beer in Newtown. Today the brewery is found in Kyalami and creates classic beers without any artificial flavouring, colouring or preservatives. The taproom is open for tastings on Fridays from 3-6pm.
Oakes Brew House was established in 2013 and claims the title of the first women-only brewery in the country. Delia Bailey and Thea Blom took the plunge and opened a craft beer brewery with Happy Sekanka as their head brewer. She’s a young, black brewmaster and a force to be reckoned with within this male-dominated industry. The brewery produces four beers – a weiss, an American pale ale, a stout and a blonde – all of which are available for purchase, as well as on tap at Oakes Brew House.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.