Gin, the spirit flavored with juniper berries, is generally associated with Britain (where most gins are distilled) or Spain (where the “gin & tonic” is practically the national drink). But some of the best gins on the market today are distilled in places you’d never expect. In honor of World Gin Day on June 10, here are eight of our very favorite gins from all around the world. Happy drinking!
Argentina: Apostoles Gin
Apostoles uses yerba mate—the plant used to make mate, the most Argentine of beverages—in its gin, plus eucalyptus, peppermint, and pink grapefruit, producing a creamy, soft, and herbal gin.
Hermoso viernes para un Tónico de Pomelo con amigos: una pizca de jugo de pomelo en polvo, 50ml de #ApostolesGin, 125ml de agua tónica #PulpoBlanco, hielo y tomillo fresco.
A post shared by Príncipe de los Apóstoles (@apostolesgin) on Mar 17, 2017 at 9:25am PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Australia: Four Pillars Gin
Incorporating local botanicals like Tasmanian pepperberry and lemon myrtle, as well as classic ones like cinnamon, star anise, and whole oranges (peel and flesh), Four Pillars is a citrusy, spicy, peppery gin perfect for use in a gin and tonic.
A bit in love with this cheeky shot of our #RareDryGin from the #Juniperlooza Festival gang. Tickets are on sale for this rockin’ #Melbourne gin festival planned for 19-20 Nov. We’ll be there kicking it with loads of awesome distillers, and plenty of delicious gin! Check out the @juniperlooza account for more details and plenty of #ginporn. #FourPillarsGin #CraftDistilling
A post shared by Four Pillars Gin (@fourpillarsgin) on Oct 4, 2016 at 10:26pm PDT
New York, USA: Brooklyn Gin
Nearly half of Brooklyn Gin’s 11 botanicals are citrus peels of various types, lending the gin a citrus-forward flavor and a clean finish. The juniper berries are hand-cracked to release the essential oils for additional vibrancy, and lavender and cocoa nibs add complexity.
F R E S H 🍸🍋🍊😍 #BrooklynGin #FreshGin #DrinkLocal #Handcrafted #SmallBatch #Made_In_NY #Brooklyn #Gin #GinUp #GinTonic #Ginoclock #Ginstagram #Drinkstagram 📷 @ameliatubb
A post shared by Brooklyn Gin (@brooklyngin) on Apr 18, 2017 at 11:06am PDT
Germany: Monkey 47 Gin
The “47” in Monkey 47‘s name refers to two things: The gin contains 47 different botanicals (many of them from Germany’s Black Forest) as flavorings, and it’s bottled at 47 percent ABV, or a whopping 94 proof. It’s as complex as you’d expect from that number of ingredients, with plenty of spicy, fruity, woodsy, and herbal notes, but is surprisingly balanced. Enjoy it in a martini.
Discover the Black Forest with our Monkey! #blackforestwanderlust #monkey47 #gin #monkeygin #blackforest #schwarzwald #ginlovers #instagin #leica #ginstagram #monkeydrum #heimat #rarebuttrue #drinks #gincocktails
A post shared by Monkey 47 (@monkey47_dry_gin) on Mar 17, 2017 at 10:22am PDT
Italy: Bordiga Occitan Gin
With a recipe dating back to 1888, Bordiga Occitan’s gin is flavored with just four ingredients: wild juniper handpicked in the Maritime Alps near the distillery, plus cardamom, angelica, and a secret citrusy ingredient the distillery won’t name. We’d suggest using the gin in a Negroni, the classic Italian cocktail.
In need of the #perfect #G&T? Look no further! Our junipery #London dry #Occitan, @craftginclub’s Gin of the Month, is available online at freud.eu and @masterofmalt 💚🍸#cocktails #classic #italian #gin #juniper #summertime
A post shared by Bordiga1888 (@bordiga1888) on May 29, 2017 at 6:01am PDT
Maine, USA: Bimini Gin
Bimini Gin has been referred to as “summer in a bottle,” and with its bright, clear, citrusy flavor, we can’t disagree. It’s less woodsy tasting than most gins, and the inclusion of hops and grapefruit zest in addition to the usual juniper and coriander lends it a fresh note.
Any day can be a beach day.
A post shared by Bimini Gin (@biminigin) on May 5, 2017 at 1:29pm PDT
Sweden: Hernö Gin
Produced in the northernmost distillery in the world, Hernö has won more awards than any other and it’s our own personal favorite. Its botanicals include lingonberries (any Ikea-goer will recognize the fruit as uniquely Swedish), and its flavors are balanced and complex enough for a martini, but bold enough to stand up to citrus. Try it in a Last Word. It’s tough to find in the U.S., so it makes a great souvenir of travels to Scandinavia.
National Day of Sweden. Let’s paint all in blue and yellow! #hernogin #junipercask #ginstagram #visitsweden #swedishmoments #sweden #sverige #högakusten #ångermanland #härnösand
A post shared by Hernö Gin by Jon Hillgren (@hernogin) on Jun 6, 2017 at 12:03am PDT
Vermont, USA: Barr Hill Gin
Barr Hill’s distiller was a commercial beekeeper for decades before he started distilling gin in 2011, and his product is flavored with just two elements: juniper and honey that’s added just before bottling. As a result, it has an unusual floral quality and slight viscosity, toeing the line between London Dry and Old Tom styles.
Don’t miss Barr Hill Cocktail Week at @beauvermont 🐝 A group from the distillery will be headed over for the 4pm kick off tomorrow night, come hang out! #raiseyourbarr #barrhillgin #tomcatgin #barrhillvodka
A post shared by BARR HILL (@caledoniaspirits) on May 25, 2017 at 2:50pm PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.