Navigating the 115 islands in the Seychelles can be intimidating, especially when choosing where to go. Culture Trip reveals the best Seychelles islands to plot on your itinerary for their beauty and unique offerings, from empty beaches on Praslin to giant tortoises on Desroches.
Island-hop around the Seychelles on this eight-day group sailing holiday with Culture Trip – no yachting experience necessary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While Mahé is the largest and most populated island in the Seychelles, it retains an otherworldly charm, fringed by white-sand beaches and aquamarine waters. If you’re looking for a busier pocket, moor up at Victoria, the capital of the island nation, and take a trip to the bustling market. Alternatively, point your compass towards Beau Vallon Beach, where you’ll find characterful bars and restaurants hugging the coast.
Considered one of the most picturesque Seychelles islands, La Digue is a must-visit while you’re in the region. The granitic island, the fourth biggest in the archipelago, is home to many sublime beaches, including the unmissable Anse Source D’Argent. If you fancy stretching your legs, there are dozens of hiking trails worth checking out; they’ll lead you through the lush inland to lookout points and secluded spots.
Step ashore, and prepare to be wowed by the natural beauty and calm atmosphere on this island. There’s just one luxury resort on Felicite, the Six Senses Zil Pasyon, which has 30 slick villas, two restaurants and a decadent spa if you want a spot of pampering. Take a guided trek to the highest point on the island; while you’re there, spot the coco de mer palm, which produces the largest and heaviest seeds in the world.
Play at being a castaway on this tiny island east of La Digue. The picture-perfect granite outcrop, sitting within a marine national park, features lush vegetation and small white-sand beaches. Sail there early to have the island to yourself and take a tender or kayak to the shores. It won’t take long to explore this uninhabited outcrop; make sure you pack a picnic to enjoy afterwards.
Get up close with giant tortoises and sea turtles on Desroches. This remote low-lying coral island, which measures just 5km (3mi) long, is home to a tortoise sanctuary; one of its residents is more than 120 years old. There are sandy trails running around the island, perfect for navigating on foot or by bike. Explore the lush jungle tracks, quaint village and secluded beaches. Alternatively, the island is home to a plush Four Seasons resort, so you could swap your boat for a swanky beachfront villa for a few days and dine in the upscale restaurant.
Get your nature fix at this privately owned nature reserve, where you’ll find dozens of rare birds, breeding turtles and giant tortoises. Once a coconut plantation, Cousin Island was transformed into a nature reserve after the International Council for Bird Preservation (now BirdLife International) purchased it in 1968 to protect the Seychelles warbler, a near-extinct endemic bird species. Take a guided tour to Cousin Island as part of Culture Trip’s group sailing holiday around the Seychelles.
Step off the beaten track and back in time on Praslin Island, the second-largest island in the archipelago. This granitic island is home to the Vallée de Mai Nature Reserve, a Unesco World Heritage site. The land in the nature reserve has remained largely unchanged since prehistoric times. Highlights include a well-preserved palm forest populated with the coco de mer palm, as well as Anse Lazio and Anse Georgette, some of the most beautiful beaches in the Seychelles.
Sitting off the northern coast of Praslin, Curieuse Island is a gem of a place that deserves a day trip by boat. The small island serves as a giant free-range zoo for hundreds of giant tortoises, which were introduced between 1978 and 1982. As part of the conservation programme, there’s a tortoise nursery on the island, while the beaches are popular with nesting sea turtles. Curieuse is also one of the few places in the Seychelles where the coco de mer palm grows naturally.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.