If you are a diver, you may have removed Seychelles as a bucket list dive destination due to the severe coral bleaching as a result of El Niño. You might want to re-think that decision as there is some world-class diving to be done. Here are some of the most beautiful dive sites in the Seychelles.
The best times to dive in Seychelles are typically April to May and October to November. This is when generally when you will find the calmest seas and winds. You’ll also get the best visibility on your dives at these times, with up to 30-metre visibility at many sites.
Diving from Mahé
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Big Blue Divers, Mare Anglaise, Seychelles +248 426 1106
Blue Sea Divers N Coast Rd, Beau Vallon, Seychelles +248 252 60 51
This is a tiny but very picturesque site with a maximum depth of 28 metres. L’ilot is so small that you will be able to swim round the whole island in just one dive. Despite its size, there is a lot of life to see here. For example, you’ll often see turtles in the shallows. Also, this is the spot to see whale sharks, an ultimate sighting for any keen diver. There are also various swim-throughs and archways formed from the large granite rocks.
Wrecks on Mahé
There are four wreck dives to experience off Mahé. The most famous is the Ennerdale. There is also Twin Barges, the Dredger and the Aldebaran, all of which were sunk deliberately for diving purposes. All four make fantastic dive sites. The Aldebaran is considered to be the most beautiful due to it being fully intact. All of the wrecks also boast fantastic marine life. The dive schools will advise when they are planning on visiting the different wrecks, although of course, this can change depending on the conditions on the day. The three deliberately sunk wrecks are all within a 15-minute boat trip from Beau Vallon. Also worth noting: with a maximum depth of 40 metres, the Aldebaran wreck can only be visited by advanced divers.
Another tiny dive site, Brissare Rocks is teeming with life. There are lots of rays to see here and be sure to look out for turtles and nurse sharks too. Brissare Rocks is a must-see. It’s an isolated spot so watch for strong currents. There is also a lot of fire coral here. While beautiful, this coral requires you to be extra careful not to touch it as it can sting.
Diving from Praslin
Octopus Diver Anse Volbert, Côte d’Or, Seychelles +248 4 232 602
If you’re learning to dive this is the spot where you are most likely to be taken. Just a couple of minutes by boat from either Octopus or White Tip dive schools by boat, it’s really easy to get to. With a maximum depth of 10 metres, it is perfect for beginners. However, this spot is beautiful for any experience level. Turtles frequent here and there are nearly always reef sharks to be seen.
South Marianne Island
South Marianne Island is an advanced dive site, with a maximum depth of around 25 metres and often strong currents. This is, without doubt, the most beautiful dive from Praslin. This site is notorious for people seeing a lot of sharks. The underwater topography is stunning, with pinnacles to swim through and huge rock formations throughout the dive.
It would be wrong to do a list of dive sites in Seychelles without mentioning Aldabra, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a protected nature reserve. It is the largest raised coral reef in the world and Sir David Attenborough described it as “one of the wonders of the world”. Having been largely untouched by man due to its remoteness, this site has an almost unparalleled amount of marine life. Dugongs are starting to make a return to the area after a long absence. Endangered green turtles and critically endangered Hawksbill turtles have breeding populations at Aldabra. There is also fish counts of approximately 3000 per 100 square meters. So, to say there will be plenty to see is an understatement. To dive at Aldabra, your trip must be approved by the Seychelles Islands Foundation. There is no tourist accommodation on Aldabra and so live-aboard dive boats are the easiest way to organise a dive there. Try Silhouette Cruises for your visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.