Fish is the biggest source of protein in Seychelles, and fishing is very much a way of life here as well as a tourist attraction. Read on to learn more about fishing in the Seychelles.
The History Of Fishing In Seychelles
The Seychelles was British Territory in the 1800’s. In 1833, slavery was abolished, which was applied in Seychelles in 1835. After this time, new social categories began to form, including fishermen and farmers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At this time fishing was purely artisanal. However, once tourists started to arrive, and guesthouses and hotels started popping up to accommodate them, levels of fishing increased to accommodate this new trade.
Up until as recently as 1980, Seychelles fishermen would use wooden boats made locally from either from Almond or Takamaka wood. Typically, the fish would be salted onboard. This was because ice was not readily available until the Seybrew brewery, the first company to make and sell ice, was established in the late 1960’s.
Today tourism and the export of fish (mainly tuna) are the biggest trading sectors in the Seychelles.
Where To Fish
There are over 200 boats available for fishing charters, so you will not fall short of options. Any hotel or guesthouse you stay at will be able to recommend someone to use, usually a relative or a friend. A couple of recommended fishing charter companies are, for Mahe, A1 Fishing, who operate out of the new and luxurious Eden Island Marina, and if you’re based on Praslin try Angel Tours, who are very experienced.
Angel Tours Pty Ltd, Amitie, Praslin Island, Seychelles +248 251 53 27
If you are looking to centre your holiday around fishing, or want to take a couple of days to experience the very best fishing in the Seychelles, you need to visit and stay at Alphonse Island. An hour long flight off Mahe island, takes you to the outer island of Alphonse.
With 10,000 acres of hard white sand flats, it is the perfect place for fly-fishing. The island has 8 full time fly fishing guides to assist you. They also offer exceptional game fishing, again with expert guides to help you.
Alphonse Island Resort, Victoria, Mahe, Seychelles +248 422 9030
What Will You Catch
Now obviously there are no guarantees of what you will catch when you go fishing anywhere. But some of the more common fish that are caught and eaten here include red snapper, job fish, grouper, sailfish, parrotfish, dorado, wahoo, skipjack and yellowfin tuna.
The Legal Bits
You don’t need a fishing licence in Seychelles for recreational fishing, but if you’re looking to fish from land, you will need to bring your own equipment. Spear guns are not allowed, and there are no specific hire companies for fishing equipment. If you’re going by boat, then they will provide equipment, but you may still want to check the equipment and bring your own if you have strong preferences. Most airlines offer a sports equipment allowance, so check with the airline you are travelling with for specifics.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.