All over Ghana, each major city has at least one main healthcare facility. Smart startups are also connecting efficient healthcare provision to grassroot communities. Here we take a look at healthcare information for travelers and the varied means of locating a doctor in Ghana.
In recent times, the biggest news in terms of healthcare in Ghana and the West African community in general, featured the first ever African Eco-Medical Village set up in Accra on 41-acres of Achimota-West Legon land.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Both government and private healthcare facilities assist in medical emergencies. Mostly the best are concentrated in large cities, while rural areas have less well-equipped setups. The best hospitals in Accra are 37 Military Hospital and Korle Bu Teaching Hospital. Outside Accra, Sunyani Regional Hospital, Ho Royal Hospital, Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Tamale Teaching Hospital, and Cape Coast’s Central Regional Hospital, are available. Excellent trained dentists give the best dental care at Beaver Dental Clinic at Airport Residential Clinic. Emergency contacts are; police: 191; fire: 192; and ambulance: 193.
What to do if you lose vital medication
While traveling on vacation or for business in Ghana, you suddenly realize your medications are missing, what do you do? Don’t panic. Missing medication could be a minor issue for some but for others it can be life threatening. One important thing is that the name of a drug bought in another country may be identical to the name on prescriptions locally, but the drug may have a different active ingredient or differ in dosage, which could cause harm. Contact a health practitioner immediately, and talk to the local embassy representing your country for help in such cases. Even before you travel, prepare a simple travel medical portfolio to ensure that you have the vital information you need, including your doctor’s contact, current prescription and health insurance info. Also, file a police report and be sure to keep a copy, since you’ll need it for travel insurance claims.
Ghanaian startups are on the rise and so are tech utilities for healthcare. One is Kenko Doctor; an Uber-like app by the e-health startup Eiko Health. Mpharma connects patients, healthcare providers and drug manufacturers for innovative solutions that make drugs accessible and affordable for patients across Africa. ClaimSync is an end-to-end claims processing platform; it enables hospitals and other healthcare providers to easily prepare medical claims and send them electronically to health insurance companies.
The World Health Organization estimates that 80 per cent of Africans make use of traditional healthcare. In Ghana, the ratio of one medically-trained doctor per 1,200 patients and one traditional medicine practitioner per 400 patients, reveals that traditional medicine is integral. For equitable healthcare delivery goals, the government has to recognize and integrate traditional health practices into the formal healthcare systems.
Volunteering doctors in Ghana
Projects Abroad has a volunteer medical project which depends on the skills of qualified doctors in hospitals and clinics around Ghana to ease the workload and provide training. Volunteer doctors may be based in Accra, the Akuapem Hills, or Cape Coast and work in hospitals varying in size and facilities. Generally, these health centres are not as well equipped as facilities in developed countries. Qualified health practitioners with the relevant licence to practice in search of volunteer work abroad or doctors on a career break could make use of this opportunity. Accommodation is provided by a host family.
The only required immunization is for yellow fever; others are optional. Malaria medication is important since the disease exists in the sub region. Some recommended vaccinations counter hepatitis A and B, meningococcal meningitis and typhoid fever. There are other risks due to air pollution, as well as traveler’s diarrhoea. In terms of language, English is used and easily understood almost everywhere. Due to long waiting and queues in packed hospital outpatient departments, you should arrive some time before appointments.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.