Visitors to the north and center-west regions of Brazil have long been recommended to take a yellow fever vaccination before traveling. However, thanks to a recent outbreak of the disease in the populous south-east, the World Health Organization now recommends the vaccine for all areas of the country, including the massive cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Here’s everything you need to know before planning your visit to Brazil.
Yellow fever is traditionally only a worry in the rainforest and rural areas of Brazil, but this recent outbreak has seen it arrive on the doorstep of the country’s massive south-east state capitals. Scientists have put this spread down to either the migration of mosquito populations from the north, or infected individuals traveling to the south-east and being bitten by local mosquitos, passing on the virus.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
State parks across São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo have been closed in an attempt to slow the spread of the disease, while wild primate populations have been greatly affected.
In the state of Minas Gerais alone, there have been 365 confirmed cases of the disease since the beginning of the outbreak, with 133 deaths.
The yellow fever virus is transmitted to humans and primates by bites from infected female mosquitos, usually the Aedes aegypti species (also responsible for spreading other such diseases as dengue fever, Zika and chikungunya). These insects usually hunt during the early morning and evening, so make sure your windows are well sealed during the night.
Yellow fever symptoms take three to five days to appear and when they do they are initially quite mild, consisting mainly of fever, headaches, muscle pain and nausea. After a short improvement, infected individuals may see their symptoms return and in a severe manner, with stomach pain, very high fever and jaundice caused by liver damage. In cases where the symptoms return, 50% of yellow fever patients die within two weeks. There is no treatment for yellow fever, though the symptoms themselves may be treated, giving the patient a better chance of survival.
Though vaccination is recommended for these areas, the risk of yellow fever transmission in large Brazilian cities (such as São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte) is very low, especially in the expanded centers of these cities, due to the small number of Aedes aegypti mosquitos. However, as soon as you venture into the countryside or down to the coast, the risk increases significantly. Many of the idyllic holiday destinations on the south-east’s Litoral Norte coastline have significant numbers of Aedes aegypti, meaning you should stay at home if you haven’t been vaccinated.
Yellow fever vaccines are proven to be extremely effective, with the human body creating a sufficient immunity after 10 days and full immunity after one month. Around 5% of people develop some sort of side effect from the vaccine, usually fever, headache and muscle pain, symptoms which normally appear around five days after receiving the vaccination and pass naturally. Serious complications are extremely rare, with approximately 1 in 300,000 people developing yellow fever itself.
The yellow fever vaccination certificate is not a requirement for obtaining a Brazilian entry visa and in theory you could get the vaccination upon arrival. However, the scale of the outbreak has caused a shortage of vaccine, meaning you would face huge queues at health centers. Furthermore, due to the unprecedented demand, Brazil is only giving out smaller doses of the vaccine, meaning you would need to take a booster shot after eight years.
Despite the panic in the Brazilian press, the yellow fever outbreak is no reason for alarm for tourists and should not stop anyone from visiting this magical country. Just get the full vaccination at least 10 days before your trip, and you’ll be immune for life.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.