Feeling the crunch? Sick of spending so much on food? Hate your grossly underpaid job? Want to move to the cheapest city in the world? If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to all that jargon, you’ll be pleased to know the cheapest city in the world has finally been revealed, and it’s not what you think is is. No, honestly.
Investment consultancy group Mercer recently published their Cost of Living survey, which unmasked the 17 cheapest cities to live in around the globe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
They were able to determine the results by examining currency fluctuations and the general inflation of basic goods, and most importantly, the price of city digs for new residents.
Unsurprisingly, the majority of the cheapest cities feature entries from Africa and Eastern Europe. Despite the usual suspects, they won’t stay cheap. Why the negativity? Population growth and emerging economies. The list goes on and on, but no fear, we’ve condensed it all.
Check out the full ranked list below:
17. Belgrade, Serbia…
Why so cheap? Maybe it’s the cheap, delicious food or perhaps it’s the extreme temperature drops. When you move there, you decide.
16. Kolkata, India…
Why so cheap? Emerging economy it may be, but vast swathes of poverty up and down the country keep the prices down.
15. Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina…
Why so cheap? Post-communism took its toll in the form of a struggling economy, making the overall cost of living cheap and cheerful.
14. Almaty, Kazakhstan…
Why so cheap? Thanks to a structurally strong finance sector (which means lots of well-paid jobs), Almaty alone generates 20% of the entire country’s income.
13. Monterrey, Mexico…
Why so cheap? Cheapness is more important than getting mega rich in these parts. Why? A 2006 Quality of Life Mercer report suggests so.
12. Tbilisi, Georgia…
Why so cheap? Tourists don’t love it. Yes, really. Oh, and it’s also one of the safest countries in the world, too.
11. Skopje, Macedonia…
Why so cheap? The place has a very high unemployment rate, keeping the cost of living way down. This doesn’t mean there aren’t lots of opportunities in this part of the world, though. You just need to look that little bit harder.
10. Lusaka, Zambia…
Why so cheap? A population that hasn’t exceeded two million helps keep all the major costs down. Huzzah.
9. Gaborone, Botswana…
Why so cheap? It’s booming thanks to finance, but the growth is generally slow, which means for now, prices are still pretty darn smokin’.
8. Karachi, Pakistan…
Why so cheap? Over 25 million people live here. Does that make a difference? No. What does is the high levels of violence and dirty drinking water, which keep newbies at bay, but investors still curious.
7. Tunis, Tunisia…
Why so cheap? Whilst the city is rapidly expanding into the suburbs, prices have not yet caught up with the rest of the boom. Thank goodness.
6. Minsk, Belarus…
Why so cheap? Like Tunis, the economy is booming, but the prices aren’t.
5. Johannesburg, South Africa…
Why so cheap? The city is notorious for its high murder and crime rates.
4. Blantyre, Malawi…
Why so cheap? Despite its growing finance world and epic views, Malawi stays cheap because it’s still massively underdeveloped.
3. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan…
Why so cheap? The country’s turbulent political neighbours unfortunately keep visitors away.
2. Cape Town, South Africa…
Why so cheap? Breathtakingly beautiful this part of the world may be, but high crime rates dissuade people from taking the plunge to move here.
1. Windhoek, Namibia…
Why so cheap? Only 322,500 people live in this part of the world.The small population might explain the low cost of living. Whatever it is, it’s a fabulous place to live.
Want more travel news? These breathtaking places don’t want you to visit them, here’s why!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.