Archeologists often discover new evidence of how ancient cultures lived, but this most recent revelation is bigger than anyone ever imagined – at this Peruvian dig, archaeologists have unearthed the largest sacrificial burial site to be discovered in the Americas, belonging to the ancient Peruvian civilization known as the Chimú. The site is believed to be the remains of a massive sacrifice made during an enormous storm that often plagues the region: El Niño.
Archeologists pieced the story together from unique findings at the site, located near the city of Trujillo. They excavated the bones of about 140 children and 200 young llamas, which were likely offered to the gods in an attempt to relieve the storm and its floods. Sacrificial ceremonies such as this have always been an integral part of the ancient world (especially when the people were ravaged by unpredictable natural disasters), practised by cultures including the Mayans, Aztecs, and the Incas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A unique aspect of Peruvian sacrifices is their use of the llama, which is now synonymous with Peru. Today, you can find their images emblazoned on souvenirs and you can even find them on the streets of Cusco, taking selfies with tourists. The fluffy camelids performed daily tasks such as ploughing fields and carrying heavy loads from city to city, similar to donkeys. Llamas were the most important animal for every civilization in ancient Peru and historians believe that only the most important and valued treasures could be offered in a sacrifice during such a dire tempest.
The ruins of the Chimú are scattered throughout the Trujillo area. Predating the great Inca empire, the civilization once ruled these northern desert lands of Peru. While you can’t visit the Las Llamas excavation site itself, the surrounding ruins are open to visitors.
Where to learn more about the Chimú
Chan Chan was once the largest city in the Americas and the largest adobe city in the world. It’s the Chimú’s grand creation and one of Peru’s most interesting ruins to visit. You can wander around a maze of towering adobe walls, through passageways, past intricately carved storerooms, and out into the main square where ceremonies would take place.
This town is famous for the caballitos de totora fishermen. These fishermen are decedents of the Chimú and continue to make their boats out of local reeds – a tradition that dates back 3,000 years. Today, you can still find the fishermen riding out into the ocean on these reed canoes, like a glimpse back into an ancient world.
Museo Sitio de Chan Chan
The museum in Chan Chan displays exhibits on the Chimú culture. Visitors can see the ceramics and stone artifacts used in daily life, including containers shaped like llama heads. Look out for the shellfish shells, while the spiky shells were used by artisans and for trading, the Spondylus shellfish themselves were another common offering in sacrifices.
Lima’s Larco museum is home to the country’s largest collection of pre-Columbian artifacts, including a detailed display of the Chimú and Moche cultures, which once occupied the Trujillo area. It is widely regarded as Peru’s best museum and its pre-Columbian erotic pottery exhibit is a must-see.
Museo Larco, Av. Simón Bolivar 1515, Pueblo Libre 15084, Peru, +51 1 4611312
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.