Got a head for heights and a hankering for views? These elevated places to stay set you up to survey the scenery. And you can book your stay now on Culture Trip.
When it comes to dramatic places for a holiday, these epic cliffside hotels certainly rock. From a hanging sky lodge in Peru to a boutique sea-facing resort in Ireland, these craggy spots cater to all tastes, so scramble on up to see which one of these lofty lodges grips your attention.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Have you ever dreamt of sleeping in an eagle’s nest? If so, head over to the world’s first hanging cliffside lodge in Peru’s Sacred Valley. Natura Vive has three transparent luxury capsules that hang off the side of a mountain so that travellers can fully appreciate the impressive views. Each capsule suite comes complete with four beds, a dining area and a private bathroom. Getting to the Natura Vive Skylodge is an adventure in itself. Guests must either climb more than 1,300ft (396m) of via ferrata (fixed climbing route) or take an alternate trail using zip lines as they go. Overnight stays at the dizzying resort include breakfast, dinner with wine and transportation from Cusco.
This sprawling cliffside hotel, near the celebrity-filled Uruguayan beach city of Punta del Este, is a sight to behold, with not a straight line in sight. Casapueblo, which looks like melted candle wax running down the hillside, was designed and built – by hand – over a period of 36 years by the late artist, Carlos Páez Vilaró, with help from local fishermen. This part-building, part-sculpture features 13 terraced floors, with rooms marked by symbols hand-drawn by Páez Vilaró himself. On-site attractions also include a restaurant, spa and museum. Vilaró, who was an ardent traveller and rubbed shoulders with the likes of Pablo Picasso and Brigitte Bardot, picked this spot for its epic sunsets and the sun symbol featured in many of his works.
Tucked into a dramatic cliffside setting between the Sierra Madre Mountains and the Pacific Ocean, and surrounded by a lush, tropical forest, Cala de Mar Resort and Spa Ixtapa in Mexico is a sublime spot. There are 59 suites that cascade down a cliff towards the sea, boasting spectacular ocean views, private terraces and individual plunge pools. On the wining and dining front, there are three restaurants and a tiered terrace bar if you’d like to watch the sunset with a cocktail in hand.
Go tropical with a stay at the stunning Jade Mountain resort. The luxury hotel, meticulously designed by architect and owner Nick Troubetzkoy, is poised atop a dramatic sloping cliff amid lush jungle overlooking St Lucia’s Unesco-listed Piton mountains. As for accommodation, there are 24 suites with private infinity pools, and the fourth wall of each room is missing so that guests can fully embrace the views of St Lucia’s distinctive peaks and the Caribbean Sea. There are also five Sky Jacuzzi Suites, which have open-air hot tubs instead of pools; these are located lower down the hillside. The restaurant curves around the resort’s main infinity pool and there is a spa on-site, with an Einstein head massage among the treatments on the menu.
One of the finest small luxury hotels in Ireland, Cliff House Hotel, close to Cork and Waterford, seems to defy gravity, with the building clinging to a cliff. There are 39 sunny rooms and suites, which overlook Ardmore Bay and its fishing village. For extra seclusion, a cottage and beach house are available to rent. The privately-owned hotel also features an intimate spa as well as a Michelin-lauded restaurant. As for activities, hiking, archery, sea kayaking, snorkelling and cold-water surfing are all on the menu.
Set into a cliff edge over tiered lemon and olive groves, Belmond Hotel Caruso seems to float above the ocean. The elegant 11th-century hotel was built by a wealthy family and its lofty location is now considered one of the best spots on the Amalfi Coast. The simple yet stylish room and suites, complete with antique furniture and metal four-poster beds, make the most of the views, with balconies overlooking the coastline below. Other highlights include a dramatic infinity pool and a private Krug Table terrace where diners can eat al fresco on decadent Emilio Pucci chairs with grass underfoot and a chilled magnum of champagne to hand.
On California’s Big Sur coastline, Post Range Inn offers 39 guest rooms, with either an ocean or mountain view. The Cliff House is particularly impressive, with an outside deck suspended over a vertical cut of rock. The secluded glass-walled bedroom features a wood-burning fireplace and heated floors for the cooler winter months. An outdoor stainless steel hot tub allows you to truly soak up the watery views. Two heated infinity pools with expansive views add to the drama. On the activity front, there are guided nature walks, stargazing sessions, falconry lessons and yoga classes.
San Antonio, in the picturesque village of Imerovigli on Santorini, is the sole occupant of a cliff face with the luxury hotel built into a sheer wall of volcanic rock. There are 25 rooms and suites with breezy interiors and prime views of the shimmering Aegean Sea. The superior and honeymoon suites have private Jacuzzis and there is a shared infinity pool at the resort, which seems to merge with the waters beyond. The Cliffside Dinner Restaurant is another highlight, with dishes inspired by Santorini’s heritage and local wines served.
Amid Cappadocia’s magical landscape of fairy chimneys, in the ancient village of Urgup, is a unique cave hotel carved into a cliff. The Yunak Evleri has 10 cave houses and 120 guest rooms in surroundings dating back to the 5th and 6th centuries, and the hotel’s lobby is contained within a 19th-century Greek mansion. All of the traditionally decorated chambers are connected via a labyrinth of narrow passageways and a curved stone stairway. Two outdoor pools, a spa and a hilltop restaurant overlooking the surrounding valleys.
When it comes to luxury, the Bvlgari Resort Bali cuts no corners. The hotel, which merges traditional Balinese design with a splash of Italian flare, boasts a spectacular position high on a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean and private access via funicular to a pristine stretch of beach. There are 58 villas, five mansions offering up to five bedrooms and a sprawling villa. All rooms have private plunge pools and secluded tropical gardens. Final flourishes are added by an Italian and Indonesian restaurant, a lounge bar, spa and cliff-edge pool.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.