Huanchaco has gained popularity amongst travelers in Peru with its beautiful beaches, good waves and ancient traditions. If you aren’t surfing or eating some of Peru’s best ceviche then you’re learning about Peru’s pre-Inca civilizations who once ruled the arid shores of Peru’s coastline. Here is our guide for the best things to do in Huanchaco, one of Peru’s most popular and storied beach towns.
In 2012, Huanchaco was approved as a World Surfing Reserve by the Save The Waves Coalition and continues to support a large contingency of surfers. The beach continues to be one of the most friendly beaches to learn how to surf in Peru because of the easy-to-ride waves and plenty of access to surfboards and instructors. With year-round swell and an active surf culture, Huanchaco is a must-stop surf spot and quite possibly the birth place of surfing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Considered the birth place of ceviche, Huanchaco continues that legacy, offering plenty of ceviche options all over the beach town, from cheap offerings to more high-end ones. You can eat in the back of a market for a couple soles or you can dine at ceviche fusions restaurants like Restaurante Mococho. Order some ceviche from one of the many beachfront locations and enjoy a beautiful ocean view with your fresh fish.
Visit Chan Chan
Chan Chan was once one of the largest cities in the Americas and the cultural hub of Peru. These ancient ruins – the largest adobe city in the world – are only a short bus ride away from Huanchaco. There are English guides who offer tours of the city for only 20 soles per person and give details of the city, its many intricate designs and of the Chimu culture.
Every morning, along the shores of Huanchaco, you’ll find fishermen riding caballitos de totora out to sea just as they’ve been doing for thousands of years. The boats, which are made out of reeds from a nearby marsh, are one of the reasons why tourism has exploded in this beach town. The iconic boats and their fishermen are alone worth the stop in Huanchaco.
Learn to build a boat
Due to the huge tourist interest in caballitos de totora you can now find fishermen willing to show you how to build their famous boats, the instructions of which have been passed down for thousands of years.
If you’re a traveler looking for a place to volunteer, look no further than Huanchaco. You’ll have options to teach kids in the community how to surf, to build houses, work at an animal shelter and help with after school programs. Huanchaco is an exciting beach city with plenty of volunteer options to choose from.
Ride a reed boat
There might be nothing better to do in Huanchao than trying to ride and, if you dare, surf on a caballitos de totora. While it isn’t advertised everywhere, all you have to do is go to the beach and ask one of the fishermen – some of the surf schools also offer chances to ride the reed boats. Good luck – it’s a lot harder than it looks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.