Arequipa is renowned for its stunning Plaza de Armas, but did you also know that is has some of the best hiking in all of Peru? From trekking up volcanoes to hiking in some of the world’s deepest canyons, Arequipa is sure to have something that you’ve never done before. Here is our guide to the most epic hikes that you can find in Arequipa.
The most well known and most frequented hike in the south of Peru is without a doubt Colca Canyon. The hike itself brings thousands of people to Arequipa, Peru’s second largest city, each year, venturing into the giant canyon. It is the second deepest canyon in the world and supports the Americas’ largest bird, the Andean condor. You’ll have options to do one, two and even more days in the Canyon if you wish. It is popular to book with travel agencies but you can also just as easily plan the trip yourself if you have some time to spare and want to explore the entire canyon without a time constraint.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is a perfect hike if you’ve had enough of the early transportation to canyons and volcanoes and just want to have a relaxing, no pressure hike. Begin whenever you want and explore the surrounding country side which has been inhabited since Pre-Incan times. Take a bus or taxi to Characato Valley and from there you can take a walk through countryside landscape, taking in Arequipa’s beauty at your own pace.
Laguna de Salinas
It may get overshadowed by the other hikes in Arequipa, but it really shouldn’t be. The rainy season brings hundreds of birds to the area (including flamingos) and during the dry season the flats are completely dried up, creating an equally beautiful scene. You can take the bus that passes through the area and drops you off near the flats. The buses run everyday from Arequipa.
Not exactly a hike in the classic sense, but after you’ve walked all of Arequipa’s Plaza de Armas it’ll feel like it. You can find free walking tours that’ll take you around the city and give you historical context, offered in both English and Spanish. Marvel at the famed white city and its unique beauty.
For any adventurer, seeing the El Misti tower over the city of Arequipa brings one thing to mind: how do I hike that! Well, it turns out that you can and you can even have guides take you on a trek to the top. You’ll begin at 3 am and head to the base of the mountain after a long off-roading trip. From there you begin your ascent to base camp. The next day you’ll arrive at the top, 5,822 meters (19,101 feet) above sea level, and have sweeping views of the entire Arequipa area. There are many companies that offer two-day hikes to the top with equipment and meals included, that costs anywhere from US$70–$100 (€57-€82) per person.
At about 6,000 meters (19,685 ft) above sea level you’d think it’d be a pretty diffcult hike. In fact, Chachani is one of the easiest hikes in the world for its remarkable height. The height doesn’t require any special equipment and can be done in two, three or four day treks. Once at the top, you’ll get unrivaled views of the entire area and striking views of Arequipa.
The sights of this remarkable canyon are sure to amaze and there are also some of the best rapids in Peru that run right through Cotahuasi. Whether you decide on Colca or Cotahuasi, you’re in for a treat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.