Young backpackers in the know opt to stay in trendy Barranco when visiting Lima, a hip seaside suburb that boasts a plethora of bohemian bars, cafés, and restaurants. And as the neighborhood becomes more popular with budget travelers, a number of cheap lodgings are opening their doors to meet the growing demand. Here are the best of the best.
Situated in the heart of Barranco on a side-street that overlooks the sea, The Point has been a favorite among backpackers since opening its doors way back in 2002. A lively bar and regular themed-parties make it a great place to meet other travelers, while friendly staff and lots of fun and games add to the backpacker vibe.
A post shared by The Point Lima (@thepointlima) on Dec 28, 2016 at 9:24am PST
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Occupying an enviable position on the famous pedestrian passage known as the Bajada de los Incas, Kaminu is just minutes away from the suburb’s best street art and cafés. Expect to find an abundance of colorful artwork throughout the hostel itself, as well as free city tours and group dinners which focus on fine Peruvian gastronomy. A lively rooftop bar is great for mingling, yet the noise level is entirely reasonable when it comes time to sleep.
A post shared by Pedro Luiz Teixeira (@pedrotandrade) on Jan 8, 2017 at 8:58am PST
This friendly, family-run hostel has been converted from a lovely old two-story mansion to offer backpackers a relaxed place to stay in Barranco. Situated just one block from the Bridge of Sighs, the location is about as good as it gets. Nevertheless, it’s the sociable and intimate vibe that garners the most rave reviews, partly due to the fact the hostel only has six rooms.
A post shared by Barranco’s Backpackers Inn (@barrancosbackpackersinn) on Feb 28, 2017 at 5:07am PST
Perhaps the cheapest place to stay in Barranco, expect to find plenty of nomadic South American hippies passed out in the hostel’s rather cramped and uninspiring dorms. Still, if you’re up for practicing your Spanish and don’t mind the smell of marijuana in the morning, Passion Barranco is unbeatable value at less than US$7 per night.
A post shared by O L I V I A (@tonantzihidaalgo) on Aug 22, 2017 at 7:46pm PDT
As the name suggests, this hostel offers quiet, family-orientated, private rooms which aren’t really suitable for the rowdy backpacking crowd. The friendly owners are known to go out of their way to help guests feel at home, while the quality of the décor and amenities amount to excellent value for money. It’s within a short walking distance of Barranco’s best attractions.
Another no-frills cheapy, Cozy Wasi offers acceptable private rooms that work out cheaper for a traveling couple than most dorms. A colorful paint job and modest décor make it attractive enough, while the in-house kitchen is great for those who prefer to give the nearby restaurants a miss every once in a while.
A post shared by Angie (@a_mnra) on Mar 5, 2017 at 7:48am PST
Run by a friendly Peruvian-Italian couple, Casa Nuestra is the perfect spot for backpackers looking to splurge on a quiet, yet stylish place to stay. The owners provide a hearty breakfast each morning as well as plenty of handy travel advice, while each of the private ensuite rooms and common areas are decorated in a funky retro style. Highly recommended for the more low-key kind of budget traveler.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.