From perfectly restored historic mansions a stone’s throw from the ocean in the hip district of Barranco to more contemporary lodgings oozing amenities in smart San Isidro, and former townhouses in the foodie hub Miraflores, Lima’s boutique hotel scene guarantees luxury, variety and comfort.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A stone’s throw from Lima’s dramatic cliff-raised coastal promenade in the bohemian quarter of Barranco, and a short walk from world-class restaurants Central and Mérito, Casa República is a lesson in glorious 1920s Republican architecture. Perfectly maintained, this mansion’s suites are elegant and airy. Enjoy a sumptuous breakfast in the leafy garden before striding the cobbled streets to discover Barranco’s urban art scene.
With a location in the trendy Miraflores district, nine-room Atemporal is a short walk from the Inca-constructed Huaca Pucllana pyramid (now a museum) and top restaurant Maido. An intimate 1940s-built townhouse turned hotel, cosy rooms are welcoming with eclectic and homely décor and guests can borrow Atemporal’s bicycles. Come early evening, enjoy a cocktail on the house on the verandah.
Notching up almost a century as a hotel, the Country Club makes for a sophisticated stay in upmarket San Isidro. A grand Hispanic-style property set across acres of gardens, it’s also home to 300 pieces of art donated by Barranco’s Pedro de Osma Museum, ensuring all living quarters have their own personality. Those with big budgets should book the Dom Pérignon suite, but those on a slightly more slender budget can still drink in the good life with a Pisco Sour at the English Bar, where the now-ubiquitous Peruvian cocktail was first created, before dining out at Astrid & Gaston.
With an off-center Miraflores location that’s close to Larcomar mall and bordering Barranco district, just 16 suites make up IFE’s portfolio. Spoiling details include a Jacuzzi in every room and eclectic design that spans from bespoke wallpaper to furniture harking back to a bygone era. Enjoy an à la carte breakfast before walking the Malecón coastal boardwalk and lunching at wine bar, shop and restaurant La Gastrónoma.
A stone’s throw from San Isidro’s legendary olive grove and top restaurant 500 Grados, Manto’s airy and tasteful suites blend dark-wood details with smart screens, Illy coffee machines and whirlpool tubs. There are three restaurants on-site, but the star dining experience is aimed at chocoholics, who will relish the Salon du Chocolat cocoa café, where you can sample truffles, ganache and nibs and other Peruvian products, exported around the world.
With a central location in the heart of Miraflores, Parque Kennedy is just one block away from Terra Viva and a short walk from fine-dining restaurant Mayta. Bright rooms sporting contemporary decor make for a relaxing stay. Enjoy the buffet breakfast on the rooftop before heading out into the trendy Miraflores neighborhood, named during its 16th-century incarnation as an Inca village for its abundant near-year-round bursts of bougainvillea, which still bloom today.
A stylish and contemporary addition to Lima’s boutique hotel scene that’s off the beaten track in the San Borja district, BTH’s urban flourishes and in-house art gallery make for a welcome change of pace. Open-plan rooms loaded with artwork include whirlpool bathtubs, and guests can also relax in the sauna, spruce up at the in-house barber or tone up at the gym. Dine in at Quimera, which sources organic produce from the rooftop garden.
If the artsy, bohemian neighborhood of Barranco could create its own grand mansion, this is the sort of building it would choose: romantic interiors and decorations that date back to the early 1920s, with large-scale art strategically placed to wow you and stop you in your tracks. Built in 1912 and designed by the French architect Claude Sahut, Hotel B was the first boutique hotel in Lima and remains the standard for all other hotels.
This hotel has only four rooms, which ensures personalized attention from the hotel staff. Each is distinct, with its own feel and character, so selecting your room when you reserve is a huge decision. The boutique hotel was built in the early 1900s by the Italian architect Lidio Mongilardi and was later declared an historic monument by the Peruvian government. When you stay at Quinta Miraflores Hotel, you’re staying in history.
Villa Barranco was built in the 1920s, and the owners have kept the building true to its roots. The villa has spacious, high-ceiling rooms with French windows – some with their own garden, others with private terraces. Once you’ve had a thorough tour of the building, head to the the rooftop terrace for some drinks and a view of the sunset as it descends over the Barranco. Villa Barranco’s proximity to everything in the bohemian arts district adds further value to this boutique hotel.
Hotel de Autor is a creation unto itself: it’s not a boutique hotel, or an apartment – but more of a boutique house. And it’s in two incredible locations, both of which are in Miraflores. From the outside, they look like giant white mansions (which they actually are). The inside is tastefully decorated, similar to other boutique hotels, but here you have the entire place all to yourself. The location is great, right in the heart of this food-focused ‘hood, making you feel like a Lima local.
Second Home was once the private casa of the Peruvian sculptor, Victor Delfin, and maintains the same artistic feel today. If you need some creative inspiration, take a walk through the garden, a dip in the pool, check out the view of the ocean, or maybe just wander around the eight-bedroom house. The inside is cast in a calming white, providing peace alongside the Pacific. All in all, there’s no location better than this, and the grounds are immaculate.
Brandon Dupre contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.