Which are the best surf towns in the world? It’s not enough just to have good waves, although that is a big part of it. After you’ve been surfing all day, you want to head back to a town that has good vibes and great food. Not all surf towns are created equal, and they are as diverse as the breaks you surf. Here is our list of places where you’ll come for the surf but stay for the town.
It’s French culture with a California surf vibe, and one of the capitals of European surfing. You’ll find the best beach breaks in Europe here, and afterwards, you can chill at a French café. For any surfer looking to go to France, this beach town is your spot.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
San Clemente, California
San Clemente is the heart of contemporary surfing in California. Most big-name surf companies have headquarters here, and you’re likely to be surfing next to some of the top professionals in the world. The town has a laid-back, So-cal atmosphere that makes it one of California’s best beach towns with year-round, world-class waves.
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
It isn’t a secret anymore: Puerto Escondido is one of the best beaches and surf breaks in all of Mexico. This stretch of coastline encompasses many different beaches, all with different personalities. What’s not to enjoy about a Mexican beach town, especially when it has some of the best waves in the world?
Raglan, New Zealand
Raglan in New Zealand rose to prominence with the movie The Endless Summer, but it hasn’t lost any of its charm. The town has a chilled-out vibe with a foodie scene focusing on organic food and healthy eating. You’ll find waves for both beginners and experts, not to mention plenty of outdoors activities and trekking.
Without a doubt, Bali is one of the best surf spots in the world, offering the best waves for both pros and beginners. While you may come for the waves, you’ll stay for the beauty and vibes of Bali. The island is well known for its spirituality, and one of the reasons people come here is to attend spiritual retreats such as yoga and meditation. Couple that with picturesque beaches and beautiful landscapes and you’ll never want to leave.
Thinks slabs of barrels and a nightlife to match it; Maresias is one of the best surf towns in Brazil. Ever since a road was cut through the jungle connecting it to São Paulo, it has become a go-to destination for Brazilians and tourists alike. It’s scenery is unparalleled – jungle meets bright blue waters – and it has all the Brazilian vibes you’re looking for.
Santa Cruz, California
Santa Cruz doesn’t get the same hype as some other California beach towns, but they prefer it that way. Located in northern California, about a 90-minute drive from San Francisco, Santa Cruz has some of the best waves in California, with California’s most unique vibes. Undesirable cold water and localism scare some surfers away, but don’t let that put you off.
The beautiful town of Newquay in Cornwall also has waves (some really good ones at that) and a lively surf culture. You get an English town, with cobblestone streets and stunning cliff sides, and a coast that can hold almost any swell.
The North Shore of Oahu is the absolute mecca of surfing. If you don’t live here and you’re a surfer, then you’ve probably always dreamed about going, and Haleiwa is where you’ll want to stay. It is a laid-back surf community with authentic Hawaiian roots, and is everything you could want in a surf town.
Up until the last 15 years, only a few people knew about this little beach town in the north of Peru, not far from Ecuador. In Mancora you’ll find the warmest trunkable water in Peru and some of the most consistent surf. The town has also developed a reputation as a party town, with bars blasting reggaeton lining the beach. Surf all day and then party all night – and if you aren’t into that, a short walk along the beach from Mancora is Las Pocitas, a beautiful stretch of beach with quiet beachside resorts.
Take a look at some of the best surfing spots in the southwest of England.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.