Peru’s most famous photographer Mario Testino is renowned throughout the world for his work in fashion. Yet fans may be less familiar with the ongoing project in his hometown of Lima, the MATE Museum. Designed to showcase the best of both internationally acclaimed names and emerging Peruvian artists, it might just be Testino’s most exciting venture. Culture Trip lifts the lid on this under the radar venture and explores why MATE is so crucial in the celebration of Peruvian talent.
“MATE aims to bring Peruvian artists and culture to worldwide attention”, reads the mission statement on MATE’s website, “while offering the best of international contemporary art and photography to audiences in Lima. MATE facilitates this lively exchange through a dynamic program of exhibitions, residencies, and events, alongside a permanent display of work by Mario Testino.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From the moment you enter the museum, this mission is immediately evident. Housed in a re-modeled colonial building, the first room of the museum exhibits the work of Mario Testino. You’ll make your way through several small rooms with his glamorous photos of celebrities and supermodels adorning the walls. His celebrity portraits are intimate and humanizing, perfectly capturing these people who live a life only a small group of people truly know.
Once you make your way past Testino‘s gallery you’ll enter a separate building, just across from the rooms housing the Peruvian’s photography. Here you’ll find a rectangular room dedicated to guest artists. Perhaps the museum’s greatest impact is just this – offering up-and-coming Peruvian artists a chance to have their work shown alongside Testino’s.
Since the renovated mansion turned art gallery opened its doors in 2012, it has offered a space where students can expand their understanding of art and gain a strong foundation for creativity and critical thinking. And for the fashion-obsessed, there’s also a unique store that offers the best of local craftsmanship as well as the photographer’s work.
About Mario Testino
Testino has taken photos of the world’s most recognized and accomplished people from all corners of the globe. His list of clients is long and distinguished and includes the likes of Princess Diana, Justin Bieber and Kate Moss, pictures of whom all hang in the museum. But as you walk through the museum, seeing all the Peruvians and tourists file in-and-out of the various rooms, there is a sense that he has offered the community something more profound and less tangible.
In the small museum, a short walk away from Barranco‘s main plaza, Testino has opened a cultural gateway between Peru’s creative talent and the rest of the world. Testino gives Peruvian artists a platform, a microphone to the world that he had to travel the world to find. Now Peruvian artists only have to travel as far as Barranco to have their art hung near a world-renowned artist.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.