Many restaurants may claim to be the most patriotic in Peru, but none can compare to the unique menu of Central Restaurante, which incorporates ingredients from all over Peru’s diverse landscape. Chef-owner Virgilio Martínez Véliz scours the country for little-known indigenous ingredients in the Amazon and Andes mountains, which is why no other restaurant can lay claim to being Peru’s most patriotic and pioneering. Check out our guide to Central Restaurante, a celebration of Peru’s rich biodiversity.
There are different ways of showing patriotism. You could paint your country’s flag on your face and adorn yourself in your country’s colors and shout the national anthem until you become blue in the face. But, of course, there are other, more subtle and profound ways to show patriotism. At Virgilio Martínez Véliz’s Central Restaurante, you won’t find a giant Peruvian banner on the walls or the walls decorated in Peru’s red and white colors. But his food, in every detail, represents the great diversity of the country in a way that hasn’t been done before. Go on a tour of Peru’s rich biodiversity and history through Martínez’s dishes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The first thing that will first strike you about his dishes is their artistic presentation. Martínez will sometimes use rocks and stones instead of plates to give the customer a better feeling for the food and the area where it comes from, adding dashes of colors here and there with herbs and sauces like a painter would with their brushstrokes. With a clear mission to value the biodiversity of the Peruvian landscape, Chef Virgilio Martínez presents you with a novel cuisine organized by altitudes so that each dish features ingredients from a similar area. Enjoying Central is surrendering to a subtle travel experience through the senses and Peru’s landscape. The dishes that you’ll sit down to eat seem more art than edible until you try them. With food gathered from different elevations and climates, the tastes are both organized and something you’ve never experienced before. You can choose a vegetarian option or elect for an eight- or 17-course meal.
Martínez first opened his restaurant to great reviews and responses from his customers. They’d tell him that it was like eating in New York or London, remarks that were meant as compliments, but which Martínez took differently. He wanted something Peruvian, a restaurant that celebrated Peru’s history and diversity, not something found elsewhere in the world. He then took a year off to travel around Peru, which opened his eyes up to everything that the country had to offer, the life outside of the Peruvian capital of Lima. He encountered local producers, unique ingredients and indigenous traditions that inspired him to create something that was both delicious and uniquely Peruvian. His transformation is perhaps best documented in Chef’s Table, the Netflix documentary series on world-renowned chefs.
For the fourth consecutive year, the Peruvian restaurant Central has been voted the best restaurant in Latin America. Central Restaurante comes in at number five on the Top 50 Best Restaurants in the world, and its chef and owner has been voted best chef in the world. The restaurant now receives worldwide attention for its contemporary interpretation of Peruvian cuisine.
Another reason why Central is Peru’s most patriotic restaurant is its close relationship with local farmers and producers. Some of the products used in Martínez’s restaurant are only found high in the Andes or deep in the Amazon, requiring local help in procuring the rare ingredients. In this way, by purchasing local when possible, the restaurant is working with the people of the country and bringing recognition to little-known areas of the Peruvian map.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.