The barrio that’s a steep walk away from Cusco’s Plaza de Armas is without doubt the best place to stay while you’re visiting. It has established itself as the bohemian district of the city, while maintaining its authenticity. You’ll find the best coffee shops, boutique stores and best vibes in this small barrio. Here is our guide to the hippest destination in Cusco.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While the Plaza de Armas is home to Cusco’s most high-end shops and chains, it is not where you’ll find the most unique boutique store in Cusco. If you’re seeking fashion in your alpaca products, then San Blas is your place – you’ll find the narrow streets lined with stylish boutiques that are found nowhere else in the city.
It’s not all expensive boutique stores, however. You’ll also find plenty of the cheaper markets where you can buy souvenirs for the entire family. You can find cool boutique stores right next to a courtyard filled with cheap Andean souvenirs – do all your shopping in one place.
Best. Coffee. Hands down. If you seek the best Peruvian cup of coffee, you can spend all day in San Blas. The streets are lined with little coffee shops offering Peruvian roasts and unique blends. The best street for your taste test is Carmen Alto, where you’ll find at least five coffee shops, including Cafe Concept which has one of the best views of the entire neighborhood.
San Blas has one of the best markets in Cusco. It is not the biggest nor can you find everything there, but it has some of the best food for unbeatable prices. The highlight of the market is its vegetarian restaurant with dishes for six soles, and the various juice bars offering delicious drinks for three soles. For the price, nowhere else compares in Cusco – not to mention that it is one of Peru’s cleanest markets.
Being Cusco’s bohemian neighborhood, it has delicious vegetarian options – it comes with the territory of being crowned the hippie part of town. In addition to delicious takes on Peruvian classics, you can eat at top-notch vegan restaurant Green Point, which offers a lunchtime special and an unbeatable menu all day. If you want the best bang for your buck though, the market awaits you.
The city of Cusco was made by the Incas in the shape of a puma and San Blas is right in the heart of that puma – with that comes the spiritual center of Cusco. It might be hard to continue your yoga practice and mediation while traveling, but that’s not the case in San Blas. Head to the Healing House where you can practice yoga (they have classes all day), participate in meditations, reiki and sound healing ceremonies. Everything you want is found at the Healing House.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.