Many guidebooks have been devoted to Peru’s major tourists destinations, like Cusco, Lima, and Arequipa. For good reason, these cities demand every traveler’s undivided attention. But along the way, traveling from one city to the next, over-determined travelers might overlook the things that make Peru Peru: the little towns with enough character and charm for an entire city. Here are the most underrated towns in Peru that should be included on your itinerary.
Máncora gets some hype for being the party capital of Peru—a sort of Peruvian spring break destination—but it’s much more than that too. For those thinking you’d rather avoid the party and should thereby avoid Máncora, you should think twice. While the party is certainly there, and at times right in your face, there are little stretches of beaches like Las Pocitas that you’d send home postcards of. If you know where to look in this town, you’ll never want to leave.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cajamarca is Peru’s classic mountain town. At night, everyone heads to the expansive Plaza de Armas to enjoy the well-manicured gardens and each other’s company. They are also known for their cheese and yogurt, delivered fresh from the local farms.
This fishing village exists in the shadow cast by the colonial city of Trujillo. Huanchaco has adapted to travelers’ diets, opening a large selection of vegan and vegetarian restaurants, without losing its fishing traditions. Fishermen are still seen riding their caballitos de totora (reed boats) as they have been for thousands of years, bringing freshly caught fish to the local restaurants. The town has the perfect mix of tradition and progression.
Ollantaytambo is everything you would want out of a Peruvian town in the Andes. It offers an ancient street layout (featuring narrow, cobblestoned roads), has Inca ruins, and possesses that rarified feeling of a true Inca town. Many of the buildings have survived for so many years that merely walking down a street feels like you’ve been transported back in time. Its proximity to Machu Picchu makes it an ideal place to stay before you see the Inca ruins in the sky.
This tiny town, sandwiched by giant sand dunes, is one of Peru’s most unique towns. It’s famous for the loud dune buggies that climb the sand mountains, and you’ll find plenty of intrigue in this small town outside of Ica.
This is a classic Peruvian fishing town that has stayed true to its roots. The fresh fish and surf are its main draws and the local supply of pisco is always nice after a long day in the sun.
The bobbing oil rigs, scatted houses, and post-apocalyptic landscape give Lobitos the feel of a town that has been deserted after some massive disaster. If you look more closely, you’ll find a classic Peruvian fishing town with a twist—it’s one of the best surf spots in all of Peru. The vibes alone can satisfy both non-surfers and surfers, and no one will want to get out of the water.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.