Lima is no longer just a layover between Cusco and Machu Picchu. It has now become a destination in its own right. Considered by many as the food capital of Latin America, “The City of Kings” deserves your attention. Here are 13 reasons why you should head to Lima over Cusco.
Lima’s food scene has exploded and is now considered the gastronomical capital of Latin America. With the Pacific Ocean right next door, it’s hard to beat fresh seafood and ceviche. Plus, the number of world-class restaurants here is hard to beat anywhere in the world, with Lima boasting two restaurants that rank inside the top 10 in the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Surfing kind of goes without saying, but Lima has plenty of waves to catch along its coastline, especially in Herradura, where you can find perfect lefts.
No altitude sickness
Being at sea level, you won’t confront any problems when flying into Lima. However, the same can’t be said of Cusco. At over 10,000 feet (3,048 meters) above sea level, anyone arriving in Cusco is almost certainly going to feel some effects of altitude sickness. It is always best that you take it easy for a couple of days as your body acclimates.
The sheer volume of luxurious hotels and accommodations in Lima are staggering. From boutique hotels in colonial mansions to massive luxury hotels, the city’s options are endless. Peru’s wealth is all concentrated in Lima’s Miraflores, San Isidro, and Barranco districts.
There are probably more art galleries in Miraflores and Barranco alone than in all of Cusco. If you want to see Peru’s best art—from historical to contemporary—Lima is where you’ll find it.
Not only does Lima have no shortage of music venues, but musicians from all over Peru will migrate to the city with the hopes of being discovered. Lima is on the forefront of new musical sounds, including chica or electronic cumbia.
Lima is home to Peru’s best and most famous museums. From the ancient and erotic pottery art at Museo Larco to Museo de Arte de Lima, the city has so many museums that visitors can spend days exploring them. Learn about Peru’s great history in Lima.
The sprawling metropolis that is Lima offers what seems like an infinite amount of bars. You won’t go too far in the city without seeing a place to grab a drink. Enjoy drinking a pisco sour in an old colonial mansion or dancing at one of the many discos. Lima’s nightlife is unrivaled by anywhere else in Peru.
With all Peruvian designers inevitably moving to Lima, the city offers an exploding fashion scene, which is represented on the world’s finest runways. Explore all the unique boutiques from the country’s best designers.
Lima has amazing parks, and despite its traffic, it is very bike-friendly. Rent a bike and enjoy the ocean view along the Malecón in Miraflores.
Lima is the entertainment capital of Peru, and the country’s national soccer team plays in Estadio Nacional, which lies in Lima and is easily accessible by Peru’s train line, the Metropolitano. The 50,000-person stadium also draws some of the world’s biggest musical acts to the country.
With the Pacific Ocean as a neighbor, the sea offers endless possibilities. From renting a boat to relaxing on the beach during summertime, the ocean always makes for a fun outing.
From Chinese to Japanese, Italian to Incan, Lima has more diversity than you’ll find anywhere else in Peru. You’ll see this reflected in their music, food, art, and in the faces of the people walking down the streets.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.