Colombia’s capital city, Bogotá, is fast becoming a hot new spot for foodie travellers, as people wake up to the city’s beguiling mix of interesting restaurants, local cuisine and wonderful traditional food markets. For hardcore foodies who want to make the most of their time in Colombia’s culinary capital, here’s the ultimate foodie tour.
You can start off your Bogotá foodie tour with a classic breakfast experience at La Puerta Falsa, Bogotá’s oldest restaurant and a foodie reference point in the city for well over a century. Head to this tiny spot just off the Plaza Bolivar and order one of Bogotá’s classic (and most confusing) dishes: hot chocolate and cheese. This typical local snack has been helping Bogotanosto warm themselves against the Andean chill of their city for decades, and no foodie trip to Bogotá is complete without it. It’s also surprisingly delicious!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Then it’s off to the Paloquemao, Bogotá’s biggest and busiest food market, for some exploring and brunch. The market is huge, and can seem intimidating at first glance, but just relax and wander around and you’ll soon feel right at home. Make your way to the fruit stalls and sample some of the myriad exotic fruits, many of which you’ve probably never heard of before: lulo, guanabana, maracuya, mangosteen… the list goes on and on.
Make sure you leave some room for some fresh, cheesy arepas. By the time you get to lunchtime (and there’s easily enough to see at the market to keep you there that long) you can grab a fresh tamal at Dona Rosalba’s stall; this typical pork dish from Tolima region is a Colombian culinary classic.
After lunch, grab a taxi back to La Candelaria neighbourhood. By now you will be quite full up on food, so it’s time to enjoy some of Colombia’s best drinks. Head to Calle del Embudo, alongside Chorro de Quevedo Square, where you can sample the best chicha (a traditional fermented maize-based drink) in the city, as well as enjoying a steaming hot cup of coca tea. Make sure to swing by Contraste Coffee Lab, where you can enjoy a tasting session of some of the best locally grown coffee in town.
For your evening meal, it’s time to go a bit more upmarket. Book a table at one of the city’s high-end restaurants to enjoy a gastronomic experience like no other (and quite distinct from the more traditional dishes you’ve enjoyed all day). The top recommendation would have to be Leo Cocina y Cava. Leo Espinoso, the restaurant’s chef and owner, was voted Best Female Chef in Latin America last year, and her tasting menu is a masterful culinary journey through Colombia’s regions. Other top choices would be El Cielo, Bistronomy or, if you don’t quite have the budget for those, Salvo Patria, Ocio or Misia.
By the time your foodie day in Bogotá is done, you will have enjoyed a real cross-section of the city’s up-and-coming food scene, by eating at restaurants as traditional and diverse as La Puerta Falsa and Leo, and by spending time at Paloquemao and El Chorro, you will have experienced distinct sides of the capital’s cuisine, and can really say you’ve had the ultimate Bogotá foodie experience!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.